Featured Is this Spanish too? It looks old - is it?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Touchdry, Oct 20, 2019.

1. Touchdry

Touchdry Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I keep looking at this little 'plate' ... in fact there are two of them. A very minimal mark - a V in a shield?
    There is 'something' about them. Can anyone put me in the right direction? They seem to have the same 'feel' as the Talavera dish from my other post. But maybe they are older ... what do you reckon? Thanks for all your help.

I hope its OK to have two posts in one day - if it is not then please tell me and I will restrain my enthusiasm.

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is, and please keep posting.:)
    Southern Europe. Italy maybe?

3. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Your enthusiasm is charming.

4. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Walter's book on Italian marks has it as Fantechi.

5. say_it_slowly

Sorry I made the assumption that everyone knows who Walter was as he was so well regarded. The book is Italian Pottery Marks from Cantagalli to Fornasetti by Walter & Karen Del Pellegrino.

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That exuberance usually means Italy.

Debora

kyratango, Christmasjoy and Touchdry like this.
  7. Touchdry

WOW ... that was quick work! Thanks say it slowly. Guess I should go and buy them!

kyratango and Christmasjoy like this.
  8. Touchdry

Having done a little research I have found what could be unfortunate for any prospective buyers of Fantechi. It appears that Asian copyists used his mark to produce cheap 'copies'. Apparently, one can tell an original by the top quality work ... these plates are nowhere near as good as the ones I have seen online. Also the copyists mark tended to be a weak lined version of his mark - which is a compass (or calipers) in a shield. I'll dig a little deeper. Perhaps, say it slowly, you can give an honest opinion as to whether you think my photographed plate really is one of his ... or whether it might be an imposter.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  9. say_it_slowly

I'm sorry I don't know enough to say one way or the other but I do know that Walter sometimes complained/informed that some marks and pieces were being faked by the Chinese.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  10. Touchdry

... Thanks for that say_it_slowly. I think I will follow my gut instinct, after comparing Fantechi's works, and err on the side of caution, and leave the two plates where they are. Hey, there's a lot more crockery here to (gently) rummage thru'!! C'est la vie!

Any Jewelry and lloyd249 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted