Is this tea set kutani?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by 916Bulldogs123, Dec 12, 2021.

1. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

Hi all,
    I purchased this with some other things yesterday and forgot all about it. The mark looks similar but thought I would ask first.
    Mikey
    Stand 366.jpg Stand 367.jpg Stand 369.jpg Stand 371.jpg Stand 370.jpg

cxgirl and judy like this.
  2. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

Yes, you are right, the mark reads " Kutani".

3. 916Bulldogs123

Yay! Thanks @Mat
    Mid century. Most likely. But it was cheap.
    Mikey

judy and Mat like this.
  4. Francisco G Kempton

Francisco G Kempton Well-Known Member

This is the closest i could find that matched the odd version of the kutani mark that is on the OP's tea set. It is not the traditional generic kutani mark, it might in my opinion be a style of kutani. It is not kutani in the purest sense, or kutani in my opinion but a style of kutani.

download - 2021-12-20T012508.943.png

Here is a typical kutani mark

download - 2021-12-20T013055.515.png

judy likes this.
  5. 916Bulldogs123

!!!

judy likes this.
  6. Francisco G Kempton

I am not sure what your exclaiming about.
    • Kutani: 九谷
    • Kutani Ware or Kutani yaki: 九谷焼
    • Kutani Marked or Kutani sei: 九谷製
    • Kutani Created or Kutani zo: 九谷造
    • Kutani Yokohama or Kutani made in the Yokohama era: 九谷 横浜
    This symbol 九 on your tea set is download - 2021-12-20T035322.099.png this symbol. As you can see yours is very different and most similar to this symbol.................

download - 2021-12-20T035517.671.png

The problem with your symbol is that
    1. It is not hand painted.
    2. It does not resembel any Kutani symbol i have seen before
    3. The peice looks modern and not of good quality.
    4. It is not hand painted but pattern painted or potatoe printed is the correct term.

Therefore it is not Kutani in the sense that antique kutani is hand painted.

Kutani is a place, rather than a factory and there is no hard set rule stopping a modern factory from using a version of kutani. Just because the factory is located in this prefecture or uses this form of mark does not make it kutani as we might understand kutani and what it represents in japanese porcelain.

The mark certainly means something and i think have seen the symbol on the left before, but i would at best call this decorative kutani style.

I have Kutani and when you have some real antique kutani, you will appreciate that it is completely different to this tea set.

Kutani style and not kutani. imo

cxgirl and judy like this.
  7. Francisco G Kempton

https://boisdejasmin.com/2021/12/the-colorful-world-of-japanese-kutani-ceramics.html

Modern Kutani is still handpainted and while some transfer printing is incorporated

Like many artisans around the world, Kutani artists are likewise experiencing flagging demand and raw material price pressures. Competition from mass produced ceramics means that kilns are struggling to survive. Some Kutani kilns experiment with modern techniques such as silk printing to transfer designs onto porcelain, which means that the prices can still be affordable, while the hand-crafted aspect is retained. One such example is Seikou kiln, which produces tableware for everyday use. Their patterns are transfer printed onto the porcelain, finished by hand, then glazed and fired again.

https://musubikiln.com/collections/kutani-seikou-kiln

judy likes this.
  8. Francisco G Kempton

This tea set is best described as the death of traditional Kutani or the primitive beginning of modern Kutani.

Stand 366.jpg

judy likes this.
  9. 916Bulldogs123

10. Francisco G Kempton

It has no function, as it is heavy with lead and other heavy metals, and therefore very unsafe to use.
    It has no inherent value.
    It is maybe decorative, but seriously it is not.
    It has no aesthetic value as it helped destroy traditional Kutani and has no artistic merit.
    It is junk.

11. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Where are you getting this stuff, Francisco? You certainly do not have these pieces in hand so you could not have tested them. I find your comments rude.

12. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree.
    Here is a quote from the forum rules:

2 – . All Antique Forum members, young, old and in between, will treat all other members with respect and be civil at all times, .

https://www.antiquers.com/threads/the-rules.109/

BoudiccaJones and Bakersgma like this.
  13. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

I think Francisco is giving his honest opinion, and, just because it's not what you want to hear, don't shoot the messenger.

Francisco G Kempton and cxgirl like this.
  14. Any Jewelry

There are different ways of saying things.
    I can understand that someone would be unhappy about the demise of a certain manufacture, I certainly prefer the old Kutani as well. But disappointment about developments in manufacture doesn't have to lead to being prickly about someone else's reaction.
    Besides, the message comes across better with a little patience.;)

Last edited: Dec 20, 2021
  15. janetpjohn

I have tried patience when someone disagrees with me, but sometimes I do an eyeroll and mutter, "Live in ignorance" to avoid being rude. Do people post to get the truth, or not? As for rudeness, it's impossible to tell tone most of the time, and language differences don't help. Some cultures are more outspoken.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  16. 916Bulldogs123

I took it as rude

17. janetpjohn

Yes, your choice.

18. 916Bulldogs123

It's not the first time either. I just ignore now.

19. Any Jewelry

Sometimes, other times not. Some people just want validation.;)
    Mikey is not like that though. I have put a damper on some of his threads,:sorry: but he was always a good sport.

BoudiccaJones likes this.
  20. 916Bulldogs123

You tell the honest truth. I respect you for it.
    @Any Jewelry
    This is different. Belittling to the point you almost feel ashamed for buying.

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted