Is this the correct forum for this piece...

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Devyn5150, Apr 21, 2019.

1. Devyn5150

Devyn5150 Member

... apologies if it ain’t.

When I tried to research this cardboard voucher (?) I got nowhere fast and abandoned the search. Coin collecting infected me early this year and now I’m re-invigorated with discovering what the other pieces the family has set aside for years and decades are all about as well as worth.

This piece, I don’t believe is anything other than conversational and maybe a little cool to have but still, I’m curious as to its history and no one here at home, family, knows how it came to be in our grasp.
    0F7589D3-3FA1-4B41-A534-026AC7C8049B.jpeg A00A4EA9-4D0F-40F1-A2BE-052239C17B8C.jpeg

Joshua Brown and scoutshouse like this.
  2. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Yup, this is the correct forum. It does seem to be a voucher, maybe a promotion given by the company?

3. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Might help to know where you are, or where you think it might be from?

It seems to be something to do with rationing. I'm sure they had to ration water during the Dust Bowl - the most catastrophic drought that I can recall.

There were four waves of droughts, one right after another. They occurred in 1930-1931, 1934, 1936, and 1939-1940. But it felt like one long drought. The affected regions could not recover before the next one hit. The last drought didn't end until 1940.

4. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Welcome, @Devyn5150 --

Not sure if this will help but I found this "token catalog" website and searched the words "barrel" and "water" and found several mentions of tokens with the phrase on yours. No mention of A. F. Shearer, though. http://www.tokencatalog.com/

Christmasjoy, Devyn5150 and Pat P like this.
  5. Devyn5150

Devyn5150 Member

The grandparents lived first in Saskatchewan and then in Manitoba and I’m currently in Alberta.

Figtree3 likes this.
  6. Devyn5150

Devyn5150 Member

I typed in “1 Water Barrel” in the catalog description field and wouldn’t you know it... the first two results... The Pas Manitoba which is relatively close to Flin Flin where the parents and grandparents lived, and the second result from Edmonton where I live now. Unfortunately no pics were present. Thank you for the assist.

Christmasjoy and Figtree3 like this.
  7. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

That's great! So I guess the 1 as a digit was possibly a clue to a certain area.

8. scoutshouse

Christmasjoy, komokwa and Figtree3 like this.
  9. scoutshouse

Christmasjoy and Figtree3 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted