Featured Is this the most ugly thing you have ever seen?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by LaineyV, Sep 2, 2019.

1. LaineyV

LaineyV Active Member

I'm laughing because I think it's awful !! But seriously does anyone know what it is (planter/vase maybe??), who made it and its age?

Is it just mass-produced tat or have I uncovered a gem (not likely!). I've shown it next to my coffee cup so you can see how massive it is.

Ugle Vase2.jpg ugl vase 4.jpg
    Ugle Vase.jpg
    Any ideas gratefully received.

2. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

White elephant gift exchange, or priceless treasure? I'm on the same page. Really unique. Reminds me a bit of odd Fitz and Floyd pieces. Can you make anything out on that raised section on the base which looks like it might have a name written?

3. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Is this the most ugly thing you have ever seen?

After 18 years of attending & working at a local auction house this piece is not even close to the ugliest thing I have ever seen. ;):p:p:rolleyes::rolleyes::eek::eek: :D:D :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

I do think you are correct about it being recent & my SWAG would be China stoneware export.

BTW in the running for me would be a pitcher that was sold on Friday that was made from a similar type material. The handle of the pitcher was the swan's head & neck. The lip of the pitcher was actually its tail feather so that when it was used it looked as if the liquid was coming from the swan's butt. :jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop:

The really sad part of this whole thing was that someone had left a sealed bid on it earlier in the day. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

4. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Shape wise yes, but this is too crudely done for Fitz & Floyd.

5. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Maybe F&F had a disgruntled employee?

6. silverthwait

Peggy, may I say that that is truly disGUSting! Erk!

Oy! Yuck! Bletch!

7. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Still curious what might be written on the base --if there is a name (or partial letters) that could help. The search continues!

Is there also a number "2" on there? Maybe a few more pics?

By the way that coffee looks great. (Trying to give up coffee... day 7.)

Christmasjoy, Bronwen and komokwa like this.
  8. LaineyV

LaineyV Active Member

:joyful: I'm going to get my jeweller's loupe out and see if I can make out anything at all on the raised section

Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  9. LaineyV

LaineyV Active Member

Definitely no writing - just a 2

Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  10. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

11. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Reminds me of some of the Hull Ebb Tide series. Only (apologize to Hull lovers) I think they are ummm less attractive.

12. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

13. Michael77

Michael77 Well-Known Member

Yeah it's pretty ugly, kinda hurts the eyes just looking at it, gotta go now.

14. Bronwen

Michael77 fugit. Only the strong survive in the cameo jungle!:joyful:

15. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

WOW Bronwen .. that IS peculiar !! The width of the head with that flat top, the ultra huge neck, the nose that starts at the hairline, is it supposed to be male or female?? .. Joy.

16. Bronwen

I don't know. Ask bluumz; she posted to the Show & Tell thread, probably just to punish me. Female, I think. If you squint your eyes almost completely closed, & you can sort of see the outlines of a standard 40s/50s pretty lady type. Does have flower in hair.

KikoBlueEyes, Michael77 and kyratango like this.
  17. Michael77

Bronwen, just to be clear I was referring to the jug, not your pendent. Its a lovely pendent with a big neck;)

18. silverthwait

Michael is going to the optometrist today.

19. Michael77

Actually tomorrow it's a holiday here today. :)

20. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

I'd guess that bar on the bottom is impressed with a registry number.

Lucille.b, Bronwen and Christmasjoy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted