Featured Is This Turquoise

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by cxgirl, Jul 21, 2020.

1. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Hi all,
    trying to figure out if this ring is turquoise, only mark is HR so not sure if sterling.
    any information appreciated
    thanks for looking:)
    115825272_10157048160472046_4567937798044012046_o.jpg 115927397_10157048162092046_7760487995708762832_o.jpg 115926792_10157048162667046_4344937938230865169_o.jpg

wenna, Lucille.b, Any Jewelry and 4 others like this.
  2. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

Yes, turquoise.
    This is a Native American ring, typical Navajo style.
    Definitely sterling. Probably dates to the 1980's.

3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'll wait for the Native experts to chime in, but I think you have a winner! Henry Rosetta?

patd8643, pearlsnblume, judy and 2 others like this.
  4. stracci

Hmmm---The hallmark site I just looked at said Henry Rosetta is Santo Domingo. This does not look like Santo Domingo style, but more Navajo.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
  5. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

thanks stracci:)

thanks evelyb30:) I saw Henry Rosetta when I was looking around but thought I should find out if turquoise first.
    Thanks again stracci, I don't know the difference between them:)

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

7. stracci

The stamp looks like Henry Rosetta's. But there are zillions of Native jewelers, and HR could be someone else. They all have initial stamps.
    It could be another "HR".
    I looked at Henry Rosetta's work (see below), and it is so much better than the turquoise ring shown above.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
  8. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

thanks komokwa:)

thanks stracci:) yes, those are very different. I found a couple of pieces signed HR, they think Henry Rosetta but are nothing like the pieces you show, so must be someone else with the HR initials:) will keep looking
    https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/721...t?show_sold_out_detail=1&ref=anchored_listing

9. stracci

Yes, I think there is some confusion on the internet about the HR mark on Native jewelry!

reader, judy, komokwa and 1 other person like this.
  10. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

lol, yup, I agree:)

11. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Looks mean little since they make similar designed objects.If an Ojibwa silversmith who was taught the techniques by a Navajo silversmith makes a Navajo style piece.Is it a Navajo or Ojibwa piece,could you tell the difference.

judy likes this.
  12. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

They might look similar, but the piece made by the Ojibwa silversmith could not legally be sold as "Navajo" under the terms of the Indian Arts and Crafts Act, so it is important to know who the maker was, and their tribal affiliation, if there is one.

reader, cxgirl, Lucille.b and 7 others like this.
  13. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I'm with stracci, it looks Navajo, and it is turquoise.:)
    The mark is not in my Barton Wright, which could mean the maker started working post-1989. Nothing definite though.

14. stracci

I understand what you are saying, but Native jewelers don't usually copy the styles of other tribes.
    Native jewelers are very proud and take their art very seriously.
    They generally stay true to their traditional styles.

I have a good personal friend who is a highly regarded jeweler from Santo Domingo. He would never ever make a piece that mimics Navajo style. His name is Rodney Coriz if you want to look him up. He is a master of inlay.
    His stamp features his name and a sunburst. But on the internet, any piece signed 'Coriz' gets attributed to him.
    He would laugh if he saw the low level work that Ebayers try to say is his.

judy, reader, komokwa and 4 others like this.
  15. Janice Nicholls

Janice Nicholls Active Member

judy, reader, cxgirl and 2 others like this.
  16. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

thanks for looking AJ:)

judy, reader, komokwa and 1 other person like this.
  17. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

thanks for the information Taupou:)

judy and komokwa like this.
  18. reader

reader Well-Known Member

IMO you have an unattributed most likely Navajo ring. The only HR listed in Hougart’s is the artist already discussed who is not the artist of your ring. If you’re selling it just sell it as Vintage Southwestern Traditional Classic Style Silver Turquoise Ring Stamped HR and size.

judy, Any Jewelry and stracci like this.
  19. Penelope

Penelope Member

Navajo for sure, and I've seen Sleeping Beauty turquoise that was so perfect that the artisans have put black on it to give it definition. So if it's real turquoise it's the good stuff.

judy likes this.
  20. reader

reader Well-Known Member

It’s definitely genuine turquoise and I agree that it’s Navajo but if selling it cannot be listed as Navajo according to US law since the artist is unknown and in theory it could be done by any artisan in Navajo “style”. Yes, I think it’s bull but one cannot legally call that ring Navajo on the internet and IMO turquoise should never be mine attributed unless you were there when it was pulled out of the ground.

Any Jewelry and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted