Featured Is This Wee Pitcher Mutton-Fat Nephrite, or Jadeite?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by wlwhittier, Dec 3, 2022.

1. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Please note the grecian key border, which surrounds the rim.
    ~92 grams, 4" long, 1 1/2" high at the pouring lip, 1 7/8" wide; the bore of the grip is ~12mm.
    It is quite hard enough to resist a good steel point, and highly polished on all surfaces. I want to believe it has some age to it...but that cylindrical bore gives me caution there.
    Virtually all I know about jade is stated in the title; two types, jadeite being slightly harder than nephrite, and usually more green than white or yellow.
    Your wisdom and comments are welcome as sunshine!
    Thanks for lookin'...

1567B791-9B02-4623-962F-735E58A072B5_1_201_a.jpeg 68F8736E-DA11-4D7F-B74F-4493739C299F_1_201_a.jpeg 59F40362-DE08-4504-A75E-88DF5E988816_1_201_a.jpeg C87801A3-2237-43CE-8D37-B11E9E45156D_1_201_a.jpeg F5C87A61-46BC-47EB-B20E-B85B99E68003_1_201_a.jpeg 66600AF5-D175-4EE2-A2E4-963E1AF15C80_1_201_a.jpeg 30E58CE6-7AC4-44A9-9E7F-FF6EA54CBD6B_1_201_a.jpeg

silverbell, judy, Any Jewelry and 4 others like this.
  2. wlwhittier

judy likes this.
  3. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Whit-Couldn't hurt to bounce it off some online archaic Chinese art forums,get some educated guesses,and if some pos feedback-then take it to an expert. Who knows-someone with 40 years of experience might (?) be willing to share a little wisdom gratis.
    Anything poss worth a grand and up-would most likely need eyes on examination I'd think.

judy likes this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is gorgeous, and mutton fat nephrite. It is antique imo, but don't know if it is Song, Yuan, Ming, or Qing, just that the jade looks to have proper age.

Nephrite is the traditional Chinese jade, and highly valued by collectors. Nephrite can be any shade of green, but also reddish, brown, russet (rust colour), yellowish and white.
    Jadeite jade is imported, mostly from Burma, and it can come in just about any colour. It became popular during the Qing dynasty, with the economic rise of the merchant class.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2022
    aaroncab, stracci, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

These corners, where the lines overshoot, look to me like they have been cut with power tools:
    z.jpeg

6. wlwhittier

Thanks, AJ...I've posted it on https://asianart.com/phpforum/index.php
    but they review all new posts, so it may not appear for a day or so. Also, they only allow 3 pics at a time, so it's only partially illustrated there.
    MOS (good work, Eagle Eye!) has opened a can o' worms with the super close-up that shows what may be the incontrovertible proof against the antiquity I had hoped for. Sigh...
    No matter, really...it is lovely an' sweet in the hand. I have another piece, a small dark green cup (jadeite?) that is high-probable fairly modern. I'll post it in Jewelry, soon as I take some pics...

7. Any Jewelry

kyratango and wlwhittier like this.
  8. wlwhittier

Y'know, I have looked for a sign-up page, without success. Is membership by invitation, or is there another way to become a member? I would like to do that, if possible. Thank you!

9. Any Jewelry

Oops, I was thinking of another forum, sorry about that.
    This is the one where I contributed a couple of times, mostly to identify Indonesian items. Twice even European items.:hilarious:
    I think I lost interest because you can't log in, you have to go through a long process only to help someone, and rarely get a response.

kyratango and wlwhittier like this.
  10. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I'm not sure they have members per se. You submit stuff for review, and whoever is running the site decides whether the material is appropriate.

wlwhittier likes this.
  11. bosko69

That means it's a curated Site-interesting.I wonder what the basic criteria is ?

wlwhittier likes this.
  12. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

It looks like you have a reply there already!
    I have used that forum too, and got excellent info about my Japanese prints.

Any Jewelry, wlwhittier and kyratango like this.
  13. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

Yeah, you just submit a question with a photo, and in a day or two, someone will give you an informed answer.

14. wlwhittier

That's my take...I have had several really helpful responses from the site. I'm glad to have access!

kyratango and stracci like this.
  15. wlwhittier

There are apparently two, bosco: China & Japan, and Southeast Asia. I haven't had opportunity to use SE Asia yet.

16. bosko69

Looks like a very good translation site-good luck on finding out more about your pitcher.

kyratango likes this.
  17. Any Jewelry

Many sites are. Antiquers is one of the few antiques sites I've come across that isn't.

The person on AsianArt said late Qing, which sounds fine to me. There could be more replies later on.

IvaPan, komokwa and kyratango like this.
  18. bosko69

Antiquers has no 'Gatekeeper' curating who/what gets on the Site-and yet most items aren't inane rubbish & are intriguing,& for the most part are 'teach-worthy' (weird phrasing).
    As a amateur who picked solely for pleasure for years,I never spent much time researching my items (and online sites years past were scarce).
    When you come here you have a group of folks who've collectively studied (practically memorized !) thousands of reference books,museum catalogs,etc.
    It's made me appreciate Jewelry,Glass,Pottery,etc much more.I knew the 'biggies' of course-Tiffany,Lalique,etc-but the value of costume jewelry or a Judith Leiber handbag was enlightening.
    PS- Apologies for my usual long bloviation,learning to edit.

Draft saved Draft deleted