Featured It has a Blenko sticker, but is it Blenko, please?>

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Andy McConnell, Mar 28, 2018.

1. Andy McConnell

Andy McConnell New Member

Hi everybody.

I'm a British glass historian valliantly trying to complete my book about the life & times of 'The Decanter'. 20 years of research, 500-pages, 2000+ illustrations & will be published by the Antique Collectors' Club in the Fall.

The reason for explaining this is that I found this decanter yesterday & I've ever seen its like before. 24cm/10.75". It has a Blenko sticker, but I can't a resemblance to it anywhere. Looks like the wrong stopper, but it's an amazing object. I want one!

Does anyone recognise it? If so, please could you pass on details such as designer, first production date & number?

Wiith thanks. Andy.

Attached Files:

2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Id say this is by Hank Adams. He worked as head designer for Blenko for 6 years,I think during the 90s. Its a FANTASTIC piece,and now I want one too !!

3. Andy McConnell

Hi Johnny. Great, thanks. How can I find out design date, name [if he has one] & production number, please? A.

4. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hello and Welcome Andy! It doesn't look like any Blenko I'm familiar with and Blenko stickers have been faked and sold by the roll. I believe johnnycb09 may be correct but this is a probably a piece produced after Mr. Adams left Blenko.

If no one can help you further here there is a Blenko group on Facebook that should be able to help. If you're not on Facebook and would like me to ask for you please let me know. Congratulations on your book. Please let us know when it is available for order.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/BlenkoGlassCollectors/
    Don

Any Jewelry, Bronwen and pearlsnblume like this.
  5. Andy McConnell

Hi Don. Thanks. Yep, I'm on FB. I've just tried. It's one of those 'closed groups' & you have to be vetted. Have filled in the form & am praying fiercely. Apparently there's still a widespread fear of Mad Cow/Glass Nutter Disease out there... A. PS: I'm here: https://www.facebook.com/andy.mcconnell.961

Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  6. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

The Blenko group should respond shortly. They're not a bad bunch at all and your glass pedigree should get you in without any question. I tried to find a little more out about Hank Adams after my first reply. I thought perhaps I could find a way for you to contact him directly. He doesn't seem to be an easy person to find though. He sure has had a lot of shows. Can't say it's to my taste but then again I think I'm one of the few who still believe in tapestry arm chair covers and antimacassars.
    Don

Aquitaine, Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  7. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I can't help, but I love it. Especially the color.
    Hope you find out what you need to know.

Bronwen and Andy McConnell like this.
  8. Andy McConnell

Hi again, D. Personal raste is one thing, subjective, but few wouldn't agree that it's striking & unsual. A.

dgbjwc and Bronwen like this.
  9. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Probably irrelevent but...to me it's very reminiscent of the PBS broadcasting logo...

[​IMG]

Google image search of PBS logo:

https://goo.gl/X2Z47d

larryE, Aquitaine, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  10. msgood2shoe

msgood2shoe Well-Known Member

The face vase is shown in Turquoise in Pina's book "Blenko, Cool 50's and 60's Glass" It is shown without a stopper, and the caption makes no mention of it missing one. Pina describes it as a Face Vase. It is attributed to Don Shepherd, who was the Blenko designer from 1974 to April 1988

Here is a picture of the page showing the vase

face vase.jpg

11. Andy McConnell

Hi. No wonder you call yourself Goodie-Two-Shoes! That's most interesting...tho' as the author of a book called 'The Decanter', it's also kinda disappointing! '2000 Decanters & 1 Vase' doesn't have the same ring, does it? But many thanks for going to the effort. A.

pearlsnblume and komokwa like this.
  12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

even a 9 year old can mistake a vase for a decanter ....sometimes...:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

good luck with the book !!!

13. Andy McConnell

It's when the 9-year-old starts drinking out of it [either of 'em] that you have a problem....

14. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Especially when the vase has a stopper. Thought it looked awkward to pick up & pour from.

15. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I'd still run it by the Blenko group. It must have been a non-catalog item as I did a quick tour of all the catalogs from the Shepherd and Adams years and couldn't turn it up. It could have been sold both as a decanter and as a vase although I have to admit the stopper doesn't look right. It also looks a lot more like Adams work than anything Shepherd did.
    https://blenko.com/catalogs/
    Don

pearlsnblume and Bronwen like this.
  16. Andy McConnell

Hi again, Don. Yep, I have every intention of doing so, thanks. They've just gotta inviteme into their lair. I've got a few more pieces I want to ask about. Things like this that have GOT to be Blenko [you'd have thought] but I simply can't find....

Attached Files:

17. msgood2shoe

msgood2shoe Well-Known Member

I tried to figure out when this might have been designed or produced. Pina doesn't give a catalog number and since she produced catalog reprint books (at least 3) and her books cover the time period Shepherd was the Blenko designer, I had a feeling it wasn't in a catalog. I did look through the catalog reprints just to be sure, and it didn't appear in them.

I tried to figure out when the one you posted might have been made, but the color of it doesn't really look like any of the purples Blenko produced while Shepherd was the designer. Turquoise was produced when he was the designer, but only until 1979.

I got curious about the Blenko sticker, so I googled the auction info. Unfortunately, the sticker isn't shown. I was surprised to see that it only sold for 95 pounds. IMHO that seems like a bargain for a piece like this.

I'm sorry it wasn't a decanter that you could include in your book. Good luck with it.

Bronwen likes this.
  18. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

The blue decanter might be Rainbow. They did a lot crackle. After my dentist appointment this afternoon I'll try and get back on the trail.
    Don

pearlsnblume and Bronwen like this.
  19. komokwa

you could always add a chapter on .....things that make you go...Hummm?? :hilarious:

judy, pearlsnblume and Bronwen like this.
  20. komokwa

Make sure to get a lollipop on the way out !!

Bronwen likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted