Italian glass lesson needed

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Lucille.b, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Thinking this is either Italian, Chinese or studio glass.

Was a quick GW purchase. Saw it walking out, was nearly late for an appointment grabbed it for $15 with some other purchases, GW offers returns. Got it home and starting thinking it wasn't quite as nice as I thought it was. At this point I am planning to return it, but will await responses.

In perfect shape as to no chips or scratches, but the more I looked it seemed a little lower-end in construction. There are a number of bubbles for example. Bubbles are bad, right? (If random, not bullicante...)

I always forget what the bottom tells us. This seems to be a polished pontil with a small rough mark in the center.

Inside of the piece is red, kind of layered.

Thoughts?

glass1.jpg glass2.jpg glass3.jpg glass4.jpg glass5.jpg

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  2. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Forgot to say, I welcome specific criticisms. Just to help my eye w/future pieces.

For example, things that indicate lower end, etc. Like bottom pontil isn't visually centered... is that a red flag? Any observations like that.

3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Its very pretty,but Id say Chinese.Italians pretty much always polished the bottom.That being said,the Chinese now seem to be as well.

Lucille.b likes this.
  4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'm no expert, but I'd guess Home Goods Chinese.

Lucille.b likes this.
  5. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

I see the flat ground rim on Chinese stuff.

Lucille.b likes this.
  6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Yup, modern Asian with the non polished base.

Draft saved Draft deleted