Featured Italian immigrants photo?

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by stracci, Jan 1, 2022.

1. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

Happy New Year to all my smart Antiquers!!
    Can anyone tell me what is being celebrated here?
    That is my grandfather, seated on the far left. Photo dates about 1911, when he immigrated to the US from Italy.
    I also don't know what the crossed brooms mean. Any ideas are welcomed!
    IMG_20220101_095819413~2.jpg

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Are they in California?

Debora

pearlsnblume and Bronwen like this.
  3. stracci

No, it is either West Virginia or Southwestern Pennsylvania. Grandfather worked in the coal mines.
    I don't know if the other men are relations or not.

4. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Maybe to do with wine, Zinfandela on the sign?

5. stracci

Yes, I thought of that. But the crossed brooms are a quandary! And would Italians be drinking German wine? Or home made?

6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

It doesn't appear to say Zinfandel, anyway. The letter after the "a" is almost completely obscured. It could be an "n" but also could be an "r" or something else. And actually, to be Zinfandel there should be two letters there. So there are not enough spaces for letters for it to be Zinfandel. The letter after that is either an "o" or a "u," imo. Maybe some kind of club? Are you sure the photo was taken in the U.S., not in Italy? Is there a photographer's imprint? Any writing on the back?

Brooms sometimes were used as a symbol of protection. People hung them up or put them in front of their doors. This picture doesn't seem to have that meaning, though. From which part of Italy did your grandfather come?

pearlsnblume, Hi2022, judy and 3 others like this.
  7. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

_eca de Zinfa_Ola_ There seems to be room for only 1 letter between FA and OLA

8. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

It may just be a party with a fun sign.
    The first part is Italian, "Lega del" = "League of"

The bottom decoration has frothy beer mugs at right and left.

pearlsnblume, Hi2022, judy and 2 others like this.
  9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Some kind of club. "League of" whatever it was. Probably guys on their days off getting to mild trouble.

10. stracci

He was from a town called Paganica in Abruzzi, outside of Rome.

My Dad has the original photo, and it is not marked at all.
    We have some other photos taken of him in a studio in PA, where he appears to be the same age, and looks like he's wearing the same tie and jacket.
    So I'm thinking this photo was not taken in Italy.
    But I'm not 100%.

11. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Good catch! I didn't notice the "del" there.

12. stracci

@evelyb30 @Roaring20s
    You guys are probably right, just a big party or fun drinking "club"
    And I see the beer mugs now, too!

pearlsnblume, Hi2022, judy and 2 others like this.
  13. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

could they be early Italian curling team?

Oh.......& happy new year..

14. stracci

No, but maybe bocce ball!
    They look slightly wasted, don't they?

15. Firemandk

Firemandk Well-Known Member

e8dae896dbb90af295a75402bffa2147.jpeg 26353c85519401f15572fb54bdc93de5.jpg

Sure looks like he is holding a bocce ball on the right , and brooms are used to smooth out the bocce court ...... we have a restaurant with a bocce ball court, The Bocce Cellar ...reminds me of that . Huge Italian community from way back when in Monterey Bay area...... Neat picture , several just like it from Davenport up the coast ...they liked their festivities , great people and community ...... and though I am not of Italian heritage , I make a mean Cioppino..... ( Red wine and two cans of smoked herring, secret ingredient, gives it a great smokey flavor on top of that seafood / wine goodness, Recipes always call for white wine, Can't believe any Italian fisherman would be caught dead with white wine but I might be wrong ! ...but don't tell.....!!! ... lots of Mussels, shrimp,white fish, clams , squid, crab if you can afford it , fresh Garlic, one whole onion,olive oil and butter , italian seasoning,two jars of marinara and one tomato sauce , cut it with water , a dab of vinegar )...... dang, now I am hungry ...don't forget the French bread , toasted with butter !

Last edited: Jan 2, 2022
    Born2it, Gus Tuason, komokwa and 5 others like this.
  16. stracci

OMG, that sounds fabulous! When's dinner? I'll be right over!!!

Born2it, Firemandk, komokwa and 3 others like this.
  17. evelyb30

It started out as Leftover Soup and went from there.(LOL) Fisherman's dinner was whatever catch they had that didn't sell, added to the things the greengrocer guys had that wouldn't keep.

Born2it, Firemandk and stracci like this.
  18. Firemandk

I made it three times in the 4 weeks before Christmas, minus the crab ( who can afford that ???!!!) , I am sure my cholesterol is through the roof by now !!! But what great comfort food now that winter is actually here in California and it has been way too cold for my blood .....

stracci likes this.
  19. evelyb30

You wouldn't have liked it here today. Never made it to freezing. Add in some wind and I wore the coat I call the Blanket to the grocery store.

Firemandk likes this.
  20. Firemandk

I have to stick to Sunny "Rainy" California , and only the lowlands near the sea...my god , there is a lot of snow this week up yonder.... definitely helping us out with our drought.

Draft saved Draft deleted