Italian or Portuguese ? Pewter ? Help Please

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by orrbobby, Aug 5, 2018.

1. orrbobby

orrbobby Well-Known Member

Hi everyone. I am a little confused. I picked this up today at thrift. I did a little research. The only thing close to this was made in Italy. Is it possible this was made in Italy and framed in Portugal?? The sticker on back of frame is a framing store in Portugal I believe. How do you test pewter?? I am new at this so any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance IMG_4176.JPG IMG_4177.JPG IMG_4178.JPG IMG_4179.JPG

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Could have been made in Italy but, one thing sure, created for a Portuguese-speaking market as that's the language at bottom.

Debora

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

the perforation teeth on the right edge remind me of a stamp..!

Christmasjoy and orrbobby like this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

There are a number of variations on your piece floating around the internet. Here's the original painting by the 16th century Spanish painter Juan de Juanes that inspired it.

Debora

FORUM La Ultima Cena.jpg

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Sticker looks 1970s (although might be a bit later as things in Portugal often look a bit older than they are.) If that's the case, would have been a luxury item in its time.

Company's still in business (but at a different address.) You can contact them (if you wish) here.

Moldurolandia@mail.telepac.pt

Debora

6. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

What is the size and what does weigh?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  7. orrbobby

The frame measures 20" x 16". The artwork measures 14" x 10". It weighs about 3lbs. Thanks for your help.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  8. orrbobby

Hi Debora, Thanks for your information. I actually picked up 2 of these today. Here are pics of the other one. Thanks again. IMG_4184.JPG IMG_4185.JPG

Christmasjoy likes this.
  9. orrbobby

A stamp from the framing store ?? It does look like a stamp. Hmmmm

Christmasjoy likes this.
  10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That one, of course, is based on the Da Vinci mural.

Debora

Christmasjoy likes this.
  11. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Why would you want to 'test' pewter?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

on the metal ....

13. orrbobby

OHHHHH. Like I said, this is all new to me. thanks

Christmasjoy likes this.
  14. orrbobby

I would just like to determine if it is pewter. Aluminum?? I am a rookie so go easy on me. hahaha;)

Christmasjoy likes this.
  15. orrbobby

Yes, I did see this one on an auction site. I am leaning towards these were made in Portugal between 1940-1970 just from the info I have gathered so far. Thanks so much!!

Christmasjoy likes this.
  16. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

There are tons of these floating around. Here's one from Spain that's unframed which will give you an idea of construction. Supposed to be plated copper. I think your dating a bit early. The 1940s were war and recovery years in Europe and Portugal didn't even begin to develop a middle class until the advent of mass tourism in the late 1960s. There would have been a very small market for an item such as yours before then. I think "2nd half 20th century" more accurate. Of course you can always contact Moldurolandia and ask when they moved from Praca 11. Ah... just looked for you on Google Portugal. Company founded in 1952 so that's your earliest date (but I still think later.)

https://www.todocoleccion.net/antig...ima-cena-juan-juanes-cobre-plateado~x51329061

Debora

17. orrbobby

Wow, thanks Debora. I have so much to learn. It,s people like you that make this hobby fun.!!

Christmasjoy likes this.