Italian pottery mark - any ideas?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by evelyb30, Dec 22, 2022.

1. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I was told this was fairly old, but we all know how much credence to place in "was told". The designs are sgraffitoed into the clay and then glaze added. Headed to my BiL and sister eventually, most likely. It was sold somewhere here in CT, back when the abbreviation was still Conn, per what remains of the paper label.

DSCF9183.JPG DSCF9182.JPG

Attached Files:

2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Hm. If you get stuck, I can post on the Bitossi FB page. Does look earlier. 50s ish.

3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Pretty sure it's in Walter's book.

4. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

bercrystal likes this.
  5. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

It is in Walter's book "From Cantagalli to Fornasetti " however other than the title Montelupo, no info is given.

upload_2022-12-22_20-6-18.png

Attached Files:

6. evelyb30

I miss Walter! Should have known he knew. I wouldn't have known where to start.

7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I rotated the bottom & lightened to see if there was anything there in that partial tag/label, but don't think there's enough to pull anything out..........

DSCF9182-xx.jpg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. evelyb30

Something about Main Street. Real helpful, that. (LOL) That's one reason I didn't mention it. Harford is a really good possibility. There was a big Italian immigrant population in the city then.

Figtree3 and Aquitaine like this.
  9. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Is that CONN on the bottom of the label? Connecticut?

Figtree3 likes this.
  10. evelyb30

yep. This dates to before they used the two letter abbreviations.

kentworld likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted