Italian? Pottery

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by SKCCOAST, Sep 2, 2018.

1. SKCCOAST

SKCCOAST Active Member

Looks Italian to me but not sure and I think the bottom is reading right side up but not sure of that either. It is about 9 1/2 inches tall. TIA for any information. Sharon
    Hopefully the photos are OK.

IMG_0295 copy.jpg IMG_0296 2.jpg

judy likes this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Upside down, this bit could almost be Greek letters, ELGMI, except epsilon is backwards:

upload_2018-9-2_13-40-3.png

3. SKCCOAST

SKCCOAST Active Member

Thank you so much!

judy and Bronwen like this.
  4. Bronwen

You're welcome, but doesn't seem like a useful observation. To my uneducated sensibility, it does not feel Italian. If that is a W & not an M, think that pretty much rules out a word or initials in a Romance language. They may have it in their alphabet, but seem to do without it, as in the French oui.

On the other hand, I don't know what it's doing here, but in my world, a single F after a name stands for the Latin fecit, indicating that person made it.

SKCCOAST likes this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

portugese...?

SKCCOAST and Bronwen like this.
  6. Bronwen

I had that thought too.

SKCCOAST likes this.
  7. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

8. Bronwen

SKCCOAST and judy like this.
  9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Looks Spanish to me. Here's something similar from Talavera. (The decoration on yours is more traditional, less touristy.)

Debora

FORUM Talavera.jpg

10. SKCCOAST

SKCCOAST Active Member

Thanks everyone...took me in directions I had not considered.

komokwa and Bronwen like this.
  11. Walter Del Pellegrino

Walter Del Pellegrino Well-Known Member

I believe that your vase originally arrived on the marketplace completely unmarked. I think some unscrupulous individual decided to add false markings in an attempt to add value to pitcher. The Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York and the Boston Museum of Fine Arts sell reproductions of some pieces of pottery they own. They are marked as such, particularly the ones from Portugal and Spain. The use of Roman numerals on legitimate copies are used to denote the century that the original was made. In my opinion the pitcher was made in Portugal or Spain. It was not made in Italy.

Figtree3, judy and i need help like this.
  12. SKCCOAST

SKCCOAST Active Member

Thank you for the information Walter. Good to know!

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted