Italian silver

Discussion in 'Silver' started by verybrad, May 25, 2016.

1. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I ran across a flatware set marked Italy 800. It was in it's original fitted box that bore a paper label that said silver plated. It looked like 70s or later set and looked like cheap silverplate. I did not buy it but might have had it not had the paper label. I know Italy is notorious for mismarked jewelry. Does this typically extend on in to other silver wares?

scoutshouse likes this.
  2. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

If the 800 was not a separate stamp, it was as you suspected just there to confuse, much like the vaguely 'hallmark' looking makers marks on British silverplate. And US silverplate for that matter.
    The intention was not to confuse the buyers but to impress your guests into thinking you dined with solid silver not plate. The label on the box is something only the buyer would see.

You were right to skip it. Italy makes a great deal of run of the mill popular jewellery but as far as I know has no reputation for mismarking. It could be that British regulations on gold and silver markings are effective in preventing most dubious imports.

scoutshouse likes this.
  3. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Italy is known for deceptive marks on silver flatware and holloware, they've been better regulated for at least 15-20 years now, but there's a lot of '800', 'A800', 'ARG800', etc. Italian silverplate out there - the 'A' and 'ARG', also found with '900' and '1000', stands for 'Argentato' (silverplated).

~Cheryl

cxgirl, scoutshouse and Bakersgma like this.
  4. verybrad

It was in a separate cartouche but no other marks besides Italy. Good to know that this could be the case. Would proper 800 silver have additional marks?

5. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Actually, not sure I've run across 'Italy' on solid silver flatware... Up until 1934, wouldn't be unusual to just see an '800' on Italian silver - Giorgio's page on Italian marks explains quite a bit: http://www.silvercollection.it/italianhallmarks.html

~Cheryl

Last edited: May 26, 2016
  6. verybrad

Thanks..... Pretty confusing so I guess buyer beware on a lot of things.

Draft saved Draft deleted