Italian wooden card box

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Houseful, May 5, 2021.

1. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

I think it’s a card box with a thin paper faux leather covering.5x7 inches. I suppose it could be for draughts though because of the squares.
    I don’t know what the gold tooled symbols mean, if anything, any ideas please? Thanks.
    B5EE8B70-9EA7-4825-BA7B-F3CF20078482.jpeg E78BA2CD-66CE-4388-8E46-4F416F8D1E6F.jpeg 84B04505-29E7-49BA-A6B5-561643CA7B56.jpeg 0EA13146-D75D-42E3-8AC7-FCE1A6BEC483.jpeg

i need help likes this.
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

kyratango, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

No reason it wouldn't be leather, especially as Florence is famous for Florentine leather. The fleur de lis is the symbol of Florence so that's likely what one of the shields represents. The others may also have some link to Florence or just be decorative. Looks 1960s.

Debora

FlorenceCoA.png

4. Houseful

i need help likes this.
  5. Houseful

Thanks.
    I did think it was leather at first but it’s just so thin, there’s a bit missing where you can see it is wafer thin.

i need help likes this.
  6. i need help

Aosta has a lion. Most are crowned.

Any Jewelry and Houseful like this.
  7. Houseful

French car!
    890BB58E-4C5A-4EEF-B26B-F9CEE7A12D11.jpeg

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Aosta has nothing to do with Tuscany though. It may be meant to symbolize the Marzocco, the heraldic lion that is also a symbol of Florence.

Debora

800px-Marzocco.jpg

Houseful likes this.
  9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I think the other is meant to represent the 6 balls of the Medici coat of arms. Those are the three symbols most representative of Florence.

Debora

Unknown.jpg

Houseful likes this.
  10. i need help

11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Thank you! And, there we go... The same three designs, symbolizing Florence.

Debora

kyratango, Houseful and i need help like this.
  12. Houseful

Thank you. I have a couple of friends who play Bridge so I wanted to gift it to them with any relevant info. Glad it’s nothing to do with a car manufacturer.

kyratango and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted