Italian woven basket - please help me find another!

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Amy Kates, Oct 28, 2019.

1. Amy Kates

Amy Kates New Member

Hello everyone! I'm new to the boards and wanted to say hello!

My sister recently sourced this gorgeous green basket and I'm looking for find a similar piece for myself. I've scoured the internet for two days and cannot find anything similar to this with the braided details, scalloped edges, and color. I've attached several pictures. Does anyone know what part of Italy this is from, where I can source another, or really anything that can help point me in a better direction to find one?
    THANK YOU!!!

Attached Files:

kyratango likes this.
  2. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

"Italy ceramic basket green" turned up this ebay piece:

[​IMG]

Lattice or latticino(?)

kyratango likes this.
  3. scoutshouse

I'm sure more spin can be put on your search terms. But welcome @Amy Kates !

kyratango and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

5. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

WELCOME Amy !!! ... Joy. :)

scoutshouse likes this.
  6. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

7. Amy Kates

Amy Kates New Member

Thank you for such a warm welcome!

Scoutshouse, thank you for sharing that. I have seen several bread basket type ceramics, and while they're gorgeous, they are not deep enough for the space. Ideally need something at least 12" long, 8-10" deep, and 5" tall.

Anyone know where I can help start to locate the source of this piece to find something comparable?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  8. scoutshouse

There's probably a very specific name for that shape/form. .. You see it in glassware and tableware.

A glassie may know.

9. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Are you sure about those dimensions? That's a really large basket. Most of the pottery woven pieces around are nowhere near that long or wide. It seems more the size of some type of baker. I'm having trouble estimating how tight the weave is.

Regardless, finding the exact piece as in the original post will be very difficult. Italian ceramics tend to be a bit on the fragile side so many did not survive.
    Don

10. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

11. scoutshouse

I think OP is looking for a new piece, exactly like her sister's, @dgbjwc

What does "sourced" mean, @Amy Kates? That sounds like a retail/decorator term. Can't she source you one, too?

I look for retail items like this ALL the time for myself. I might come here for search terms, bc I know people here know forms and finishes,but that's about it... :)

Christmasjoy, Bakersgma and dgbjwc like this.
  12. Amy Kates

Amy Kates New Member

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Don - unfortunately, yes - I do need something in that ballpark. The original posted basket has those measurements and I can't do any smaller or shorter as it's being used for storing a few particular items.

scouts house - my sister did indeed purchase it from a designer. My first stop was asking that designer if she could get another and she said she could not "source" any at this time.

As it seems that finding something with the tight weave and dimensions will be difficult, would anyone know if I might be able to commission someone to make something like this? I'm not sure where to start!

13. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Your sister's designer most likely has a supplier (source) that provides her with one of a kind new and vintage items. There is a whole industry of people who scour flea markets, antique malls, etc. to find items that they can resell to designers and designer showcases. Part of the value to the designer and the customer is that the item will be unique.

My suspicion is that the basket is a vintage item and no longer in production. If I had to guess I'd say the basket dates to the 1960's or 1970's based on the color. It would be very difficult and very expensive to duplicate. I'm not aware of anyone in the US who produces these types of baskets. If the basket is hand made there may be folks in Italy who still practice the art but I would no idea how to find them. If the basket is made with a mold, there are folks in the Far East that can reproduce just about any item. They would need the original, though, to have a new mold cast and I have no idea what that might cost. I think your best bet is to periodically search the internet based on the code numbers on the bottom. If one was imported there must be others out there. It's just impossible to say when they might be appear. Sorry I can't be of more help.
    Don

scoutshouse likes this.
  14. scoutshouse

A lot of this ceramic lattice woven ware comes from Bassano, Italy.

You might try contacting companies around there to see if they make single plain baskets. Most of them come with some kind of fruit or floral decoration. But it's worth a shot.

These are from their Carravgio line at https://ceramicheorgiabassano.it/ Ceramiche d'Art F. L. Orgia

Screenshot_20191029-111836_1572373248182.jpg

komokwa and dgbjwc like this.
  15. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
  16. Amy Kates

Amy Kates New Member

Wow, you guys are truly so helpful, THANK YOU!

Don and scouts house, thank you for that! I'll look into those.

say it slowly - that's hers!!! The dimensions are exact, wow how did you find that?!

kyratango and scoutshouse like this.
  17. Amy Kates

Amy Kates New Member

scoutshouse likes this.
  18. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I'm sorry I don't really know if Worthpoint has that information as I don't have a subscription there. Ebay doesn't keep that info available for very long.

The thing that I was really noticing is that the sale took place five years ago and if their info is correct they say that the item was over 40 years old at that time so I'd think it would be easiest to find one on a secondary site like Ebay or Etsy if you're wanting the same bowl. There are probably some similar bowls out there as I think woven pottery bowls are still being made but I don't see an easy source for green.

Maybe your sister would trade for something:)

scoutshouse likes this.
  19. Amy Kates

Amy Kates New Member

You're right, thank you say it slowly!!

And I've tried...it's her favorite also! ;)

scoutshouse likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted