Featured Italy Orange Bull MCM, Bitossi? Walter?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by say_it_slowly, Oct 3, 2016.

1. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I'm hoping Walter will look in. I did find a discussion of Bitossi bulls on Walter's site but since most of the photos won't display for me I thought I'd start here. Walter seems to feel the Bitossi bulls only came in blue (blu) at least as I understand it at the time of the discussions some years ago. @Walter Del Pellegrino

Walter kindly helped me identify an orange lamp as Bitossi some years ago so I am including the mark from the lamp. The lamp number begins with "B", the bull number ends with "B". I wonder if the number would be a guide in identifying it. It appears to be 4527B Italy though if you told me that it said 6527B I could see that too.

This bull is a bit over 12" long and weighs over 4 lbs so is extremely hefty. He doesn't look at all new. There is the sticky glue remains of a square label but that really means little. The clay, where visible, is a bit reddish with some white flecks.
    DSC01700.JPG DSC01704.JPG DSC01705.JPG Italian lamp sig.jpg

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  2. Walter Del Pellegrino

Walter Del Pellegrino Well-Known Member

I don't believe this is a Bitossi Bull. The markings do show the letter "B" but without the period at the end of the B and no underscoring. That kind of marking existed for Bitossi from the 1930's to early 1950's but the famous Londi designed Bitossi Bull appeared a number of years after Bitossi abandoned the original marking system.

Here is an example of the Bitossi Bull in Rimini Blu

[​IMG]

Here is an example from Jema, Holland. Carefully look at the details. Look at the relatively careful placements of the impressed marks as compared to the Jema model. There are clear differences. Jema was not the only firm to have a similar Bull. Other companies have their own versions.

il_570xN.651483368_565x.jpg

il_570xN.651593265_hcma.jpg

3. say_it_slowly

Hi Walter thanks for weighing in!

It doesn't appear to be like the Jema piece, I don't think, as it has impressed stamps down the back. So I guess you're thinking some other Italian company was making these in response to the popularity of the Bitossi bulls. Makes sense. The marks looks like it's written in such a similar manner to the mark on my lamp that I was swayed that way.

Thanks for your expertise!

(the pattern running down the back)
    DSC01703.JPG

KingofThings, lauragarnet and cxgirl like this.
  4. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

5. say_it_slowly

I don't do Facebook currently. I did for awhile but decided I didn't have the time to keep up so I "attempted" to close my account which isn't really easy to do so it's dormant at the moment.

I appreciate the offer and maybe I'll take you up on it later or re-activate my account. I think I'll wait for awhile as I did contact Bitossi to see if they knew the maker but don't know if I'll ever hear back. I'll give it more time and see what happens.

pearlsnblume, KingofThings and cxgirl like this.
  6. Cornelia Marschner

Cornelia Marschner New Member

Hallo,
    maybe you can help me to define (sorry, i'm a german old girl with a horrible small english vocabulary) the following ceramic.
    My husband passed away in febru a ry 2017,
    My heritage was the “ugly“ orange ceramic bull, which usually was positionated in one of these corners, where my eyes were seldom spread, he got this bull from his mother, she had been travelled to italy 3 or 4 times a year to visit her daughter for ca. FOUR OR SIX WEEKS each time.
    So mum bought many luxury items, for example one ring designed by Picasso with an Expertise, murano glas, extraodinary sculptures etc.
    And one of them was this orange bull.
    First i wanted to give him to a special friend of my husband, but he gave me the Information that this one was made by an artist, but he wasn't able to remember the name..
    Now I found out, that this bull was manufactored by Bitossi in the 60's.
    Please Walter take a look on him, throughout the time I made many photographs from my bull and i learned to see the beautifulness in his curves and proportions of his mighty body, look light and filligran as the same time.
    And here some visions of an maybe original red, orange bull:

KingofThings likes this.
  7. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Welcome! :)
    -
    And so very sorry for your loss. :(

8. Cornelia Marschner

Hallo,
    maybe you can help me to define (sorry, i'm a german old girl with a horrible small english vocabulary) the following ceramic.
    My husband passed away in febru a ry 2017,
    My heritage was the “ugly“ orange ceramic bull, which usually was positionated in one of these corners, where my eyes were seldom spread, he got this bull from his mother, she had been travelled to italy 3 or 4 times a year to visit her daughter for ca. FOUR OR SIX WEEKS each time.
    So mum bought many luxury items, for example one ring designed by Picasso with an Expertise, murano glas, extraodinary sculptures etc.
    And one of them was this orange bull.
    First i wanted to give him to a special friend of my husband, but he gave me the Information that this one was made by an artist, but he wasn't able to remember the name..
    Now I found out, that this bull was manufactored by Bitossi in the 60's.
    Please Walter take a look on him, throughout the time I made many photographs from my bull and i learned to see the beautifulness in his curves and proportions of his mighty body, look light and filligran as the same time.
    And here some visions of an maybe original red, orange bull: and now i tried to get some photographs of my gallery insert to this question, but it won' t work...Puhhh!
    Oh, thank you very much for your Empathie. But he's every day with me, closest to me in my heart.

NewEngland and KingofThings like this.
  9. Cornelia Marschner

Please help me to get the Photos in here..

KingofThings likes this.
  10. KingofThings

Try doing this for all your photos always.:)
    -
    975D71FF-560F-458C-81A0-DEA3D4B62614.jpeg

11. Cornelia Marschner

12. Cornelia Marschner

Oh mist, i am writing Mobile,
    Theres no File upload Button

KingofThings likes this.
  13. Cornelia Marschner

Oh im tired, tomorrow i trie again, thank you a lot for your help.

KentWhirled and KingofThings like this.
  14. KingofThings

Ok, goodnight. :)
    There is an Upload a File button at the lower right of where you are writing.

15. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Welcome to our forum!! :happy::happy:

You would be better off starting a new thread for your piece. Make sure you mention Italian pottery & Bitossi in your title so Walter is more likely to see the posting.

This thread is over a year old & there is a chance Walter would not even look in on it because he has already left a comment.

Draft saved Draft deleted