Featured It's Spring, and Love(Seat) is in the Air

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Ghopper1924, Apr 1, 2021.

1. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

I hope I can rely on the expertise of the board's "furnies" on this one, as it may fall a bit before my period of interest.

This loveseat (51" wide 37" high 23" deep) was appraised back in the 1970s as made ca. 1830. It's highly polished mahogany, and has been in the same Kansas City family for about 100 years. A relative took a trip to Europe in 1922, and may have had this shipped back. Past that, nobody really knows where it may have come from, though it was probably not Kansas City.

So, was this made in the U.S.? England? France? Obviously, it's been reupholstered. The ottoman/footrest has the same upholstery, and has four round mahogany feet, as opposed to the bracket feet on the front of the loveseat. It's always been with the loveseat, but may not be original to it. Is the appraised date of ca. 1830 accurate? Should it be called Neoclassical or Empire, stylistically?

A cursory net search does not reveal anything like it. I'd suppose it to be worth about $500.00 U.S. at a large city auction. Does that seem accurate?

Loveseat 1.jpg Loveseat 2.jpg Loveseat 4.jpg Loveseat 3.jpg

Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
  2. Ghopper1924

3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Yours looks more true to character.....the one you found looks like it’s been bleached!!!

pearlsnblume, Ghopper1924 and judy like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

yours is lovely ...
    I'd expect to find it in a very high class brothel !!

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

5. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

Yours is much more attractive. The wood has a nicer patina, and the upholstery is beautiful. It's hard to believe they are the "same item."

6. Ghopper1924

Thanks for the kind words, that takes some of the sting out of the sad decline in value.

And as for this:

Y U, I orta......!!!!

Figtree3, judy, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  7. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Yep, auction zip /ghopper beat me to it, neoclassical being the keyword there.

What Book said, not a fan of the covering on zip love seat, much too "busy" for that style, I think it hurt it sales-wise. The buyer needed a low number to help cover the cost of a better fabric, new fabric ain't cheap these days.

Figtree3, judy, komokwa and 4 others like this.
  8. Ghopper1924

I love youse guys....Cheers!

judy, komokwa, Aquitaine and 2 others like this.
  9. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

The estimate was $400-600, that fabric killed the form & the sale.

judy, komokwa, Ghopper1924 and 2 others like this.
  10. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

agree with all about the other chair, fortunately Ghopper never ruined his! ;)

In my neck of the woods, $399 in a consignment shop in southern Louisiana.

judy likes this.
  11. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

That is quite elegant - a lovely piece. I can see a lady in a big skirt sitting in the middle surrounded by elegant gentlemen!

judy, Ghopper1924 and James Conrad like this.
  12. komokwa

Orta.....??

Oh..right.....
    I thought u meant HORTA !!!

upload_2021-4-2_2-38-40.jpeg

Please.......

upload_2021-4-2_2-39-10.jpeg

judy, Firemandk and Ghopper1924 like this.
  13. Ghopper1924

14. Iowa Jayhawk

Iowa Jayhawk Well-Known Member

Being a lamp geek, I would love to own the one in the picture with the settee.

komokwa likes this.
  15. Ghopper1924

Hey @Iowa Jayhawk

We're lamp geeks as well. Specifically peg lamps, but we've got others, like the one in these photos, which is a banquet lamp from England ca. 1880. It has four spider-type legs each of which can be adjusted individually. The darker metal is copper and is made to look like leaves and/or flames, depending on your point of view. The oil reservoir is seated inside of the copper outer sheath, and you can see the frosted globe, which is original.

I have no idea what to even call the lamp. I've never seen another one like it. We purchased it directly from a vendor in England. The thing is that although it sounds cool to be able to adjust each leg, in practice it's almost impossible to make the lamp perfectly level. Also, because of how the lamp is built its very difficult to polish the brass and copper without spending an inordinate amount of time on it. In addition, the supports behind the legs, which you can't see, are themselves extremely fragile; when we received the lamp one of them was broken and I've since broken another. I try to be Mr. TLC, but this lamp presents special challenges. Fortunately, these can be mended.

If you have any idea, just by looking at these photos, what it might be worth to insure this lamp, by all means let me know. It's not a favorite because of the practical issues limned out above, but it is definitely one of a kind.

Figtree3, Bookahtoo and komokwa like this.
  16. Firemandk

Firemandk Well-Known Member

komokwa and Ghopper1924 like this.
  17. Firemandk

Firemandk Well-Known Member

I know, if you cross breed a Trible and a Horta you get a HORRIBLE ? (Sort of like this joke ???)

Figtree3, komokwa and Ghopper1924 like this.
  18. komokwa

Hahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!! :hilarious::hilarious:

Ghopper1924 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted