Featured Iv0ry pill pot- old or new?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by KSW, Sep 18, 2023.

1. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I hope old.
    T’was a car boot find at the bottom of a box of rubbish and I thought it was too lovely not to rescue it.
    Any ideas as to its origin from the decoration please?
    It’s very small at just over 1” across the base and 3/4” tall.
    Thankyou :)
    IMG_2126.jpeg IMG_2125.jpeg IMG_2124.jpeg IMG_2123.jpeg IMG_2122.jpeg IMG_2121.jpeg IMG_2120.jpeg IMG_2119.jpeg

Born2it, Figtree3, cxgirl and 11 others like this.
  2. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Nice salvation! India:)

Born2it, cxgirl, stracci and 4 others like this.
  3. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

That's not anywhere near recent...what a sweet find!

cxgirl, stracci, johnnycb09 and 3 others like this.
  4. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Is that cut out on the lid a chip or do you think it was on purpose?

johnnycb09, Bronwen and KSW like this.
  5. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

'Box of rubbish'-yr general car boot miracle.Would you care to export some of these sellers to Oregon ?
    Nice piece & seems to have some age.

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Gorgeous, K.:) From Gujarat, NW India. I recognize the work from my Gujarati kohl bottle.
    Either a kumkum box or a lime box (for betel), rather than a pill pot imo.

Born2it, Figtree3, cxgirl and 5 others like this.
  7. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Think it’s a chip sadly.
    I’m not joking either.
    Some sellers just chuck random stuff in boxes and that’s often where I find interesting gems. In amongst the rat poo and broken glass so you do have to be careful! Some sellers are really on it and know exactly what they have, some seem surprised that it’s theirs when you enquire a price :rolleyes::hilarious:

Figtree3, cxgirl, Any Jewelry and 3 others like this.
  8. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Thankyou both! Very helpful.
    Any idea of an age for it please? It’s not going anywhere but I like to know these things!

9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

My guesstimate 1890ish.

cxgirl, 808 raver, kyratango and 3 others like this.
  10. bosko69

I wonder if Europeans & Brits are so used to living w/ antiques,they're a little less captivated by older items when cleaning the garage or attic ? Lesser antiquities anyway.

11. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I adore random filthy boxes. It’s how I found the Georgian enamel needle holder for fifty pence.

Figtree3, cxgirl, kyratango and 3 others like this.
  12. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Phew, proper old then. Thankyou :)

cxgirl, kyratango, johnnycb09 and 2 others like this.
  13. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Good perspective, bosko...when items several hundred years old are reasonably common, much of value can be, an' is, overlooked...or simply dismissed as unworthy of effort.
    I, too, was prone to diggin' in dirty, dark boxes, drawers & etc. Came home often with filthy fingers, eventually carrying an' using 'moist towelettes' so to appear a bit less grubby at the next sale...keeping up appearances; y'know?

14. bosko69

I was a digger too Whit.I did the work,displayed the dirty treasure,and Americans bein' a skeptical lot would frequently say-'Whadya thinks it's worth ?!'.Now days it's-'Hold on,lemme' get a pic of it first !'.
    The days of the merry pickin' freebooter are gettin' precious

wlwhittier likes this.
  15. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

I think part of this could be attributed to a highly curated inventory like mine vs. clean out guys (or gals). I handpick every item or at least every lot and inspect each piece. Sellers like these rely more on big margins and knowing what they have. Then there’s the clean out folks who rely on volume and just have crews toss things indiscriminately into boxes. They probably weed out what they know to be the best stuff on-site but lots slips though. Not always I’m sure but I run into situations like this sometimes.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2023
  16. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I think you are absolutely right.I’ll add to your list the hoarders who store stuff, forget what they have and then get fed up with it and just drag it all out for a car boot sale.

17. J Dagger

Well I could turn from the type of seller I just announced myself to be to this third type of seller very easily. I ask myself why I’m doing this once a week on average. It’s such a giant ball and chain and burden sometimes. Hours after that I’m back to bidding and loving it again.

18. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

There’s a mad clearance bloke at my car boot who does fifty pence each or three for a quid. Cheerfully foul mouthed and there’s a lot of bantz. I like him enormously, especially as he gives me freebies.

19. J Dagger

That type of dealer is someone I envy a bit. Maybe they collect one thing or something but they more just fell into the trade for money rather than love of the stuff. They don’t take it home with them often. It’s seems like about 70% of the people love the stuff and 30% just somehow found opportunity in it and despise the stuff in a way almost. Like they would gladly make the money any way else but this was just the road life took them down. I was going through an estate recently with a lady who does sales here and there. She had a real disdain for the stuff I was thinking was beautiful. She was miserable digging through it all while I was in heaven. To her if was just a paycheck. Not saying thats the deal with your guy but he sounds more like the stuff is inconsequential and it’s just a means to an end. Move what he’s got to make room for what’s coming in, rinse and repeat. Rather than being precious about each object and waiting for that one buyer to come around who will pay the right price. Different strokes.

edit: to fix errant word or two, sloppy typer!

cxgirl likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted