I've Got 3 Vintage Kimono, Poorly Stored, That Need TLC

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by wlwhittier, Feb 14, 2023.

1. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Part of an inheritance that I only recently received. They've been in a corrugated cardboard box for maybe 40 years...that should tell y'all how little they were previously valued (perhaps justifiably!).
    There are no pics, yet. I think I gotta find an Asian dry-cleaning shop that can properly clean an' press vintage Japanese silk garments.
    I don't have a clue how to even crudely assess them to determine their age, or whether they're worth the expense of such specialized effort.
    Seattle will be the closest place that may have such, other than Victoria, BC...an' I don't really want to get into moving antique garments across an international border, either direction.
    Any suggestions about how best to proceed will be most welcome. Thanks!

judy likes this.
  2. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Others may have good ideas; but my thought would be to phone Home | Kyoto Art and Antiques to see if they know of any resources - number at the bottom of the website. They don't buy from the public, but do import old kimono in large batches to sell at their frequent warehouse events, and may know someone who can evaluate old kimono.

judy, Figtree3, kyratango and 6 others like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

You may well be able to date them by the fabric design. Would very much like to see them when you're ready to post photographs.

Debora

4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Seconded. I may or may not be able to help, but I definitely want to see!

judy, Figtree3, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  5. wlwhittier

Excellent counsel, A_F...I'm on it! Thanks!

judy and kyratango like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

7. wlwhittier

Very good...Thank You, AJ!

judy, kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. wlwhittier

No pics, yet...but the box contains much more than the 3 kimono! There's a child's outfit; a wee jacket, skirt an' cap, un-used...two remnants (unknown area, yet) of stunning brocade(?), one with a matching finished obi...a pair of those foot-coverings with the split toes for wearing with geta. I used to know what they're called...plus one other obi, roughly 4 inches by 8 feet.
    And 2 of the 3 kimono are huge...perhaps made for Leonard, who was a large & tall man. Both of these are a much higher quality garment than the 3rd, which was on top of all this stuff...somewhat soiled, rumpled from careless storage, an' so wasn't inviting enough to rummage to the lower reaches of the carton where these better items were.
    Pics as I can get them...the kimono present a real challenge due to their size & complexity: how an' where to pose them for pics?
    More as it happens, be sure!

Figtree3 and kyratango like this.
  9. wlwhittier

You've opened a door for me! These folks are just a couple hours east of me, an easy drive. I intend to offer them a few pics and, if they have any interest in hands-on evaluation, follow up with a visit.
    Also noted is their spring sale in late May...I may consign, if they allow such...an' if not, their recommendations about how to proceed will carry much weight. Thanks!

judy, Figtree3 and kyratango like this.
  10. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

"tabi"

11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

:jawdrop:
    Hang them on long pole, or a broomstick (through the sleeves).

12. wlwhittier

Yes, of course...an' thanks, AJ.
    First examination showed length at the shoulders of roughly 6 feet. Must needs an outdoor wall or such, as there are no vertical bare spaces inna house. Gotta wait for a reasonably dry, sunny day.
    I've got my chit in with the various gods responsible for these matters, and hope that looming spring will allow accommodation for my humble request.

kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  13. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

wlwhittier, Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
  14. wlwhittier

Oh! The things you teach! Uchikake an' Furisode are new nouns, an' you may be correct...I still can't wrap my feeble mind around Leonard in a kimono!
    I took some good pics of the textile remnants an' the 2 obi...but 'files too large' greeted my attempt to post them. Try, try again. Thanks for the link...Beautiful really doesn't do justice to these stunning garments.

Figtree3 and kyratango like this.
  15. evelyb30

IIRC wedding kimonos would be white or red, and designed to trail on the ground. If they were custom made for someone like Andre Leon Talley, and yes he'd have worn one, they'd have to be big. He was a big dude.

wlwhittier and kyratango like this.
  16. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Have you ever been to Japan? I’ve made several trips, working there, each for a few weeks at a time. I would seek out flea markets, typically held on the grounds of old temples on the weekends. Almost every flea market had at least one stand with old kimono. And tables of them for 1000 yen each ($10). I had no idea which were better than others, but bought a couple for my daughters as gifts.

I’m certain there are kimono that are worth money, but there is also a huge number of them available very cheaply because they are no longer typically worn. Weddings and other formal occasions being the exception.

judy, Figtree3, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  17. evelyb30

Don't I wish! I do have friends who've been or who were born there, and I've picked up some information.

judy likes this.
  18. wlwhittier

No...I'm pretty provincial. A bit of Germany, couple months in Spain...otherwise strictly a West Coast denizen.
    As a youth, long before Nixon went, I was fascinated with China...an' remain so. But I never scratched that itch...sigh.

judy and komokwa like this.
  19. GreekAntiques

GreekAntiques "Wisdom begins in wonder." Socrates

@wlwhittier by sheer coincidence I listened to a podcast yesterday that featured an interview with a woman who imports vintage Japanese fabrics (yukata) and leads tours to Japan for quilters and textile mavens.:woot: She was a wealth of information and seemed very approachable. Her name is Patricia Belyea and her website is okanarts.com; perhaps she can help you with cleaning and conservation. She singled out one flea market as particularly good for vintage Japanese textiles, @Jeff Drum . Unfortunately, I did not take note of the name (as I was driving), but the name of the podcast was "The Bold Beauty of Japanese Yukata Fabrics," Episode 3 of the Collecting Culture podcast.

Potteryplease, judy, Figtree3 and 6 others like this.
  20. wlwhittier

Very helpful, GA...Thank you sincerely!

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted