Featured I'VE GOT THIS LOVELY NAUTICAL SPOON!

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Aquitaine, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi all!! I've got this wonderful nautical spoon that only Lord knows where Mom picked it up!! It IS Sterling, and I've not seen anything like it....it's not a pattern....as you will see and the marks on it are very clear....RIGHT facing lion, Anchor and the capital letter G. Any insight is, as ALWAYS, GREATLY APPRECIATED!!! THANKING YOU IN ADVANCE FOR STARTERS!! Am going to post and then continue on our taxes.....but as AAARNOLD said "I WILL BE BAAACK"........

zWHALING SPOON 1.jpg
    zWHALING SPOON 2.jpg
    zWHALING SPOON 3.jpg
    zWHALING SPOON 4.jpg
    zWHALING SPOON 5.jpg
    zWHALING SPOON6..jpg

antidiem, Christmasjoy, SBSVC and 9 others like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

It's Gorham, of course!!

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Not just Gorham, also Gorgeous.:)

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I did not see this incredible spoon illustrated in the Gorham section of sterlingflatwarefashions - but Gorham did so many limited production designs that are only numbered, that does not surprise me.

FYI, in theory (and hopefully practice) the right-facing lion replaced the left-facing lion in Gorham's mark in about 1865. That was about the time that the number of designs seems to have exploded!

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I just hope that harpoon never comes near that whale.

Christmasjoy, kyratango and Aquitaine like this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Then how ya gonna light your lamp....or make your corset , or keep all the jobs up and down the coast.....if it's mid to late 1800's......that harpoon saw a lot of use !
    :(:(:(

7. Aquitaine

HA!!!! Me too!!!!

8. Aquitaine

@Bakersgma, thanks SO MUCH for that information!!! Now, I would love to find one in an exclusive auction somewhere:):):):)

9. Aquitaine

I'm sure it did and those WERE the times, but hopefully, around here, hope NEVER to see those times again!!! THEY are SUCH GRACEFUL and BEAUTIFUL CREATURES......I have a whole CD of their lovely, but mournful, 'songs' :happy::happy::happy::happy:

judy, kyratango and komokwa like this.
  10. Huntingtreasure

Huntingtreasure Well-Known Member

11. Aquitaine

12. Huntingtreasure

13. Huntingtreasure

14. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Wow! That’s a wonderful spoon, all details in the bowl and the detached rope tied in a knot:woot::)

Any Jewelry and Aquitaine like this.
  15. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

That's the New Bedford, Mass. 'Whaling City' spoon, it's one of Gorham's cast souvenir spoons, a more expensive process than die-stamping, they were only in production a few years, starting in 1891. Don't have my souvenir spoon books available at the moment, but to the best of my recollection, this spoon was introduced in 1891 (believe I have an old ad showing it somewhere in my files, will see if I can locate it and post).

~Cheryl

judy, Any Jewelry, Aquitaine and 5 others like this.
  16. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

1891 advertisement from a firm that produced the cuts used in advertisements and catalogs:

1891ryderdearthgeorgejames.JPG

~Cheryl

17. janettekay

janettekay Well-Known Member

I love that spoon !!!!! (and I am not a "spoon person" :sorry:) but love nice work!!!

kyratango, judy and Aquitaine like this.
  18. Aquitaine

It doesn't take you to eBay.....just to the site on Google showing it.....and it seems to work OK even in your post with the link in it.....

19. Aquitaine

Cheryl, That's Awesome!!! THANK YOU......YOU are really GOOD!!!!!:joyful::joyful::joyful:

20. Huntingtreasure

Idk why I can’t open it, maybe because I’m on smart phone. Happy for you, Cheryl has found it.

kyratango, judy and Aquitaine like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted