Featured I've Heard Of A Ship In A Bottle But Never...

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Diggummup, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Diggummup

Diggummup Well-Known Member

A pair of dice? Tiny ones too. Anybody ever seen such a thing?
    Bottle is glass, no seams. Find from an estate junk drawer.

[​IMG]

2. BaseballGames

BaseballGames Well-Known Member

3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

If I knew anything about the standard arrangement of spots on dice I could probably answer this myself, but does a combination for 7 show on any of the sides? You could roll these; do they have enough space in their to really change position?

Diggummup likes this.
  4. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Might look up 'impossible bottle' - have seen all sorts of things, including dice, in bottles, probably pennies more than anything else...

~Cheryl

5. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I don't think they are uncommon.
    Novelty or Souvenir item.
    I've seen them before, think I may even have some somewhere.

Diggummup likes this.
  6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Suitable for gambling on railway cars and the like. I'm guessing that was the original use. You could roll two dice without having the dice taking a dive on you.

Diggummup likes this.
  7. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

If the dice don't make a lot of noise when they bounce inside, I'd guess they're made of a soft plastic and were squeezed to get them in the bottle.

Diggummup likes this.
  8. Diggummup

Diggummup Well-Known Member

The dice are either celluloid or bakelite, hard to tell inside the bottle. There isn't really enough room for the dice to sit side by side unless the bottle is actually on it's side. They don't roll around too easy but they do roll. I figured it's some older novelty type thing. Thanks for the replies everyone.

Draft saved Draft deleted