Featured Ivory Bead Necklace with Netsuke

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Marko, Jul 24, 2019.

1. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

You might have seen my post on the finds thread. The beads are ivory, necklace is 34" long. The netsuke is signed on the bottom in red, will post a pic, forgot to photograph it. Maybe you can help me with some question, I would appreciate it.
    1. What do you think the material is on the netsuke? There are striations on the upper back of the figure, but I do not see cross-hatching.
    2. What would you do about the red bleed on the lips? What could have caused it?
    3. What age would you date the netsuke to?

Thanks.
    Ivory Netsuke 1.jpg
    Ivory Netsuke 2 (335x640).jpg
    Ivory Netsuke 3 (360x640).jpg

2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Are these Schreger lines
    upload_2019-7-24_8-24-57.png

3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

The whole necklace is nice, but I just can't visualize how the lovely netsuke hangs.....to the side or in the center???? I LOVE her!!!

4. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

I would say to the side. Never thought of having in the center, could work either way, but I see them photographed hanging to the side.

KSW, Christmasjoy, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

imo.....if it was an older netsuke of any real value...it would not have been drilled into and used ( hung ) in such a fashion...

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Lovely necklace Marko.:)
    Maybe someone tried to touch up the colour on her lips and slipped.
    Could you post a photo of her feet? Sometimes you can see a tiny Schreger area there.
    I think those are just regular lines. Marko said she saw no cross-hatching, which is what the Schreger lines are.

KSW, Christmasjoy, judy and 3 others like this.
  7. Aquitaine

@Marko, when you take the other close-ups, could you try to re-take a sharper one of her shoulder area......it's hard to see if those are actually Schreger lines.....and thanks if you can!!!!

Edit....and I just now saw AJ's post above mine......sorry!

KSW, Christmasjoy, judy and 3 others like this.
  8. Aquitaine

UNLESS someone DIDN'T know what they possibly had...........?

KSW, Christmasjoy, judy and 2 others like this.
  9. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Going to check back on this thread. What an interesting piece.

I sold a somewhat similar necklace (in design) a while back, the pendant feature hung from the side like this. Also was around 35" long. Realize that Marko's pendant is not a bird, but you search "cloisonne bird necklace" there are others like this with this length and design. Most think Chinese, the one I had I guessed was 1980s/90s. (And if memory serves, sold well.)

Be sure to "view original listing":

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Or...=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Can't help with the red on the lips. I would think this will be almost impossible to remove whether ivory or plastic -- the way a dye would soak in probably means some kind of fix over the top, paint touch up, etc. as suggested.

10. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Here are some more pictures. The markings on the bottom look Japanese to me, but I am no expert.
    Ivory Netsuke Back Close (546x640).jpg Ivory Netsuke Feet  (640x583).jpg Ivory Netsuke Feet 1 (612x640).jpg
    Ivory Netsuke Feet 2 (640x487).jpg

11. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Beautiful necklace, Lucille. I have a two ivory neckaces, one with a resin monkey, another with a big resin dragon clasp, that also hang to the side like yours.

KSW, Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  12. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Looking at the closeups, this geisha on the current necklace is either bone or ivory. I am leaning towards ivory looking at the vertical striations on the back. Could the crosshatching be covered by the engraved design and coloring?

KSW, Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  13. Any Jewelry

Thanks for the photos, no Schreger lines, but it looks like ivory to me.
    She is a Japanese lady as well. Netsuke are Japanese in use, and most are Japanese made, but the Chinese made some for export.
    Most signatures on netsuke are never identified.:(

KSW, Christmasjoy, judy and 1 other person like this.
  14. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

I think they are but not showing cross hatching. We had this discussion on another piece- ivory does not always show cross hatching depending on how it was cut on the grain.

15. Any Jewelry

I think the ivory is cut in such a way that Schreger lines won't show, the bottom is pretty small and has some coloured lines and staining as well. The only place where it would show is on the top and shoulders, but that is covered by the black of her hair and the floral designs.

KSW, Christmasjoy, judy and 1 other person like this.
  16. Any Jewelry

They are ivory lines but not Schreger lines. Schreger lines are the cross hatched lines.

Christmasjoy, judy and kyratango like this.
  17. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Yes.... elephant ivory the whole piece. Wonder if I should try to do anything with the lips. Looks like the same ink the artist signed his piece with.

kyratango and Christmasjoy like this.
  18. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

ivory yes....80's... maybe.

19. Msalicia

Msalicia Well-Known Member

Maybe a child tried to put lipstick on her?

Marko and kyratango like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted