Featured Ivory carved comb

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Xristina, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Xristina

Xristina Well-Known Member

Inspired by Kimbert's post, I just bought this comb from a garage sale near by.. the guy I bought if from said it's ivory.. 2 (3?) of the teeth are broken, there is a crack on the back and I have absolutely no use for it.. but I couldn't leave it there, I just think it's beautiful (and I'm also sad that an elephant had to die for it )..

IMG-0579.JPG IMG-0580.JPG

Zinnie, bluumz, NewEngland and 7 others like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I would have done the same & felt the same. At least the carver made something beautiful with it. It is definitely ivory.

Zinnie, silverthwait, judy and 4 others like this.
  3. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Zinnie, NewEngland, judy and 5 others like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Thank you Kyra.......I posted there !!!
    So should X...& show her comb.

The beauty we see here on an ongoing basis is sometimes overshadowed by the quantity and rush to move forward to the next adventure !

Sometimes ya gotta stop....and smell the roses ! :)

Zinnie, NewEngland, kyratango and 3 others like this.
  5. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

It's beautifully carved .. and I surely feel the same way about the elephant. :( ... Joy.

Zinnie, kyratango, judy and 2 others like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is gorgeous, Xristina, thank you for showing us.
    And I agree with everything that has already been said. As a small consolation, this was made on the right side of the Cites legislation. I know, it doesn't help the pre-Cites elephant.:(

Judging from the style and the way it was carved, it is probably Chinese, made for export.

Zinnie, kyratango, judy and 2 others like this.
  7. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

So true, Komo, when I visit Creative Museum, I run from one to another, as if I have no time to fully enjoy each of the pieces! I bet you posted beautiful ethnic combs on their site:woot:

Christmasjoy, komokwa and judy like this.
  8. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

I don't like elephants. They are an evolutionary dead end for a very specific habitat. I wish them no more ill will than they wish me, but their production of ivory I regard in the same way as a pig's production of pork chops or cattle's production of leather.
    By all means protect elephants if that is what people in general want to do, but do not try and change the past.

9. Any Jewelry

I just looked at it, wonderful site, I could lose myself for days.:wideyed: Thank you kyra.:kiss:
    What did you post there?:peeking:

Christmasjoy, kyratango and judy like this.
  10. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Really, AF! Cows and pigs are hardly endangered. And while I am, personally, terrified by the size of the African elephant, I admire their intelligence, dignity, and parenthood.

11. Any Jewelry

Aren't pigs supposed to be more intelligent?
    When it comes to intelligent animals, I think the octopus is highly underrated. But at least recent research is giving it more credit.
    Ok, totally off topic, I know. Sorry @Xristina .:sorry:

12. Kimbert

Kimbert Well-Known Member

wow what a beautiful carving!! Yes, I would have bought it at a garage sale in a heartbeat too! I also feel the same way about the horribleness of the ivory trade while accepting we can't change the fact that there are many beautiful items from the past made from it. I had been wondering if my comb was tortoiseshell (but not hoping for it, just out of curiosity) which is also a sad and shady trade

will you be displaying it somehow?

Zinnie, Christmasjoy, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  13. komokwa

I posted a reply ....not an item....

14. komokwa

farmed animals...and wild animals.....have very little in common....

Zinnie, Christmasjoy and aaroncab like this.
  15. komokwa

we provide habitat for farmed animals...
    we destroy habitat for wild animals.....

Zinnie, ALittleBit, Kimbert and 3 others like this.
  16. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

17. ALittleBit

ALittleBit ALittleBit

We really generally don't treat most other species well. I saw something last night on sharks being caught for their fins. I know it happens but it shocks me every time I hear about it.

18. ALittleBit

ALittleBit ALittleBit

Back on topic, the comb is beautiful, Xristina.

19. Zinnie

Zinnie Well-Known Member

One could say that about humans more justifiably. Proof enough our planetary current affairs are not in favor of our survival - and it's all on us, not the lower animals, who've suffered more than we have but may also have a better chance at getting through the next century, while we may not. My 3 cents.

Yes, a gorgeous comb! Wow. All of them!

Christmasjoy and Kimbert like this.
  20. Xristina

Xristina Well-Known Member

Thank you for the wonderful site and for all your replies ! :)
    Like it wasn't enough that I am attracted to (read "hoard") jewelry, now I've discovered the beauty of combs, too ? Oh, my..

Zinnie and Christmasjoy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted