Featured Ivory inlaid box, Spanish? Indian? Date?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by 808 raver, Nov 22, 2019.

1. 808 raver

808 raver Well-Known Member

Hi Guys, sorry it's been a while :( I would love your thoughts on this box, it's 8x8x5 inches high. It has ivory inlay and some age but when or where it was made I am at a loss....please help :)
    Image00001.jpg Image00002.jpg Image00003.jpg Image00004.jpg Image00005.jpg Image00006.jpg Image00007.jpg

2. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I love the wavy top.

judy, Christmasjoy and 808 raver like this.
  3. 808 raver

Yes the wavy/scalloped top is one of the reasons for buying it, I did think it was early Hoshiarpur inlay from the photos but now I'm sure it's not

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Not Spanish. I'd think Indian but others sure to know better than I.

Debora

5. 808 raver

Tanya, pearlsnblume and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Looks earlier to me too. By way, yours is unlikely to be ivory; those inlays are usually bone.

Debora

pearlsnblume, komokwa, Fid and 2 others like this.
  7. 808 raver

I know now everyone calls it bone due to ebays rules on ivory but most of these boxes used ivory, only poor quality pre-1940's and post 1947 Indian inlays are done in bone or plastic

komokwa, Any Jewelry and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Interesting. But you think your box isn't post-1947?

Debora

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  9. shallow_ocean_spectre

shallow_ocean_spectre fine.books' bumping squirrel

upload_2019-11-22_21-16-23.png

The grain of the ivory is pretty clear here.

10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Thank you for the close-up.

Debora

pearlsnblume and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  11. 808 raver

Personally I don't think it's post 1850 but I'm not sure, it's certainly ivory though

12. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Love it!
    Just thinking about Indian and Spanish, did any of the Portuguese colonies in India make this kind of inlay? They could have continued using those locks after the Portuguese left.

Here is a map of Portuguese India for you to check, closest to Hoshiarpur would be Surat in the northwest (which was also Dutch), but that is still a long way from Hoshiarpur:

[​IMG]

808 raver, KikoBlueEyes and kyratango like this.
  13. 808 raver

I don't think mine is anywhere near as good as these examples but the theme of the inlay is very common for Indo-Portuguese, birds in potted trees seems like it was all the rage back then, I don't know when then was but I suspect around 1800. I did buy it thinking it was early Hoshiarpur but now I'm sure it's not, it has a Spanish lock but it could well be a early Indian clasp lock, this example has the exact same lock as mine and they are saying Spanish https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/506266943/spanish-inlaid-bargueno-bone-inlay This is another Spanish box with the same lock https://de-cor.com/products/spanish-inlaid-marquetry-bargueno utm_campaign=Pinterest%20Buy%20Button&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Pinterest&utm_content=pinterest-buy-button-09a827ed5-6fa8-4a3d-b2d0-eccdb1f2e77d
    https://www.christies.com/lotfinder...-casket-gujarat-or-sindh-5422073-details.aspx
    http://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions...d-hodgkin-portrait-artist-l17120/lot.245.html
    http://www.thecobbs.com/auction-2015-07-03-lot-129.html
    The truth is I don't know :( yet another mystery to add to my collection lol

Any Jewelry likes this.
  14. Any Jewelry

Those Gujarati indo-Portuguese boxes would probably be from Surat, which is in Gujarat.
    Some items are destined to keep us searching and wondering.:)

808 raver likes this.
  15. 808 raver

I think I might have made some small headway finding out where and when this box was made, if I put "spanish colonial antique box 18thc" into google I find a lot of boxes with the same sort of lock. What I need to find is someone who knows about Spanish colonial antiques, I don't suppose you know anybody on here do you? :)

Boland, Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  16. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

although the bird and ivy arrangement look typically Persian , I wouldn't exclude Southern Italy and Sicily; under Norman rule the Islam wasn't that strict as in Northern Africa and the East and allowed plants and animals.

808 raver likes this.
  17. Any Jewelry

Clever thinking, The Philippines (former Spanish colony) also have inlay work. I think it is mostly made in the Muslim south.

[​IMG]
    http://www.zenakruzick.com/designer...ry-bone_inlay_box_philippines-2089details.htm
    We have two people who are married to Filipino ladies, @Firemandk and @Gianluca72 . I hope they can tell you more, or know who to ask.:)

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
    808 raver likes this.
  18. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Love the look of that unusual box (posted so many moons ago) Also looks like a nice inlaid chest the box is standing on.

808 raver likes this.
  19. 808 raver

Yes the un geometric style (birds ect) has lead me to believe in the past that it's not Islamic. I do have many boxes from India both Islamic and other and none have that type of lock. I really can't find any european or asian countries other than Spain that has that distinctive lock but looking at spanish colonial in the 18th c from South America I see many. I have many antiques ranging from Roman to the 1920's and this box feels 200+ years old. I will admit this box and 2 other antiques I've bought still I'm not sure about. Really I was hoping for an expert on spanish colonial antiques in the US or South America who could confirm or rule it out.

Boland and Fid like this.
  20. 808 raver

I have just searched the Philippines for spanish colonial boxes and I didn't really get any that had that type of lock, I can find indo portuguese with the same type of inlay but the lock is the most distinctive factor in my opinion. The annoying thing is the chests ( https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/506266943/spanish-inlaid-barguenobone-inlayinlaid ) I've linked to are almost certainly from the same place and date but none of them say where and when they were made :(

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted