Featured Ivory-Topped Antique Walking Stick

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Shangas, Aug 31, 2019.

1. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

How's this, eh?

Bought it from the local flea-market today. Has a nice, ivory handle on the top. You may notice that there's no ferrule - an acquaintance at the market (silversmith) said he could do a quick job on that and fix it for me, so I decided - since the offer was made, I might as well. It won't cost much, and I can pick it up in a couple of days! Will post more photos when I can.

The stick is about 32, 33 inches long. Just the right length, for itty-bitty-little me! Can't wait to get it fixed!

stick01.jpg stick02.jpg stick03.jpg

2. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

it appears never to have had a ferrule?

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Very cool find, Shangas!

4. Shangas

Yes it did, once upon a time...a long time in the past. Obviously, it fell off at some point, and I was trying to think of how to repair it. Then, my friend offered to have one made for me, custom-sized, in sterling silver - him being a jeweler, it was only to be expected. So I said yes!

He said it'd be a one-day job, so I'm trying to arrange to meet him later in the week (Wednesday or Thursday) to collect it.

5. Shangas

Sent the silversmith a text-message. Says he can't meet me as I hoped he could, so it'll be this time next week before I can post some extra photos of it.

6. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Love the cane,now about that ring on your thumb ! Im mad for a funky ring. :)

7. Shangas

LOL!! Not my ring, sorry. It's the ring of my friend who's doing the repairs. He held it out so I could photograph it before he took it back to his workshop to fix it. Can't wait to get this back!

judy and Bronwen like this.
  8. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Don't laugh, I found this antler with sterling walking stick missing it's bottom also. I put a sterling thimble on it:rolleyes:.
    img20190901_153414.jpg img20190901_153524.jpg

kyratango, Houseful, judy and 5 others like this.
  9. Shangas

That was going to be my plan, too. But then my compadre offered his services for a nominal fee. So I figured I might as well have it done professionally! That said - I have seen at least two examples (three now, including that one above) where walking-sticks were repaired, simply by jamming and gluing silver thimbles onto them! I must say, it's a very elegant solution :)

If you don't mind my asking - in what way - if any - is the thimble attached to the base of the stick?

kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  10. antidiem

the sterling is a very nice touch on the bottom and around the collar too..

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
  11. Shangas

Just out of curiosity - is there anything that anybody might recommend, to rub or brush or polish onto the stick, to protect the wood? Varnish or lacquer of some variety? Beeswax?

Bronwen likes this.
  12. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

You could go for this look.

[​IMG]

13. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

I prefer tung oil easy to use and reapply when necessary,not sure what you have in your country....... https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&channel=tus&q=tung+oil

Daves 002a.jpg

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
    kyratango, judy and Bronwen like this.
  14. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Honestly I don't remember exactly as it's been awhile however I've never considered it finished. It's one of those projects to return to.

I think I put some sort of filler, probably a wood epoxy, in the thimble and stuck it on. I have set aside some tiny nails pulled from a sterling bowl base for possible use. I always thought it should have a solid bit on the very end and imagined a dense rubber disc but haven't looked for anything for it in ages.

I think I paid $2 for the stick.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
    kyratango, judy and Bronwen like this.
  15. Shangas

As promised:

MORE STICK! :p

stick04.jpg stick05.jpg stick06.jpg
    Here's the new silver ferrule, made out of old, scrap silver, and a nice little felt base, which I can replace, if I ever need to...

stick07.jpg

16. antidiem

That's lovely!

kyratango and judy like this.
  17. Shangas

It's a simple but elegant solution :)

antidiem, kyratango and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted