Featured Iznik tile from ?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by gerspee, Nov 21, 2018.

1. gerspee

gerspee Well-Known Member

One off my first tiles collected . Size around 13x13 cm en thickness 13/14 mm . Any idea about age and what country made ? Thanks JPEG Image (8254616) (Medium).jpg Iznik tegel (3) (Medium).JPG Iznik tegel (5) (Medium).JPG JPEG Image (8254857) (Medium).jpg JPEG Image (8255127) (Medium).jpg

komokwa, Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Iznik is in Turkey.:)

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  3. gerspee

I know but i mean Iznik style probaly ?:shame:So maybe could the decoration style give a specific place off origin and time made .

4. Any Jewelry

It was made in Iznik, in the so-called Rhodian style. Formerly attributed to the island of Rhodes (Rhodos) because so much of this ware with the brick red flowers was found there. Hence the name Rhodian Iznik.

I would have to guess the date: It is very nice, but not of the quality made from the 15th-18th century, and not of the 20th-now revival quality. So my guesstimate is 19th century, but I would advise you to take it to someone who knows more about it than I do.;)

judy, Mat and i need help like this.
  5. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

Kutahya made also Iznik style tiles in late 19th - early 20th c and I think yours is such a piece. Here one I have:

Ky1.jpg

6. Any Jewelry

@Mat , do you have more info on Kütahya ware? There is a lot of confusion around possible Kütahya ceramics manufacture. There seems to have been some in the 16th century, but I can't find anything else.
    Oliver Watson in 'Ceramics from Islamic Lands' only mentions it as a 16th century possibility that needs to be researched, and the internet sites I've found are mostly speculative.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
    judy, i need help and Mat like this.
  7. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

i need help and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
    i need help likes this.
  9. gerspee

Thanks all for the info and useful