Jacobean revival table?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by LemonDrizzleCake, Apr 5, 2021.

1. LemonDrizzleCake

LemonDrizzleCake New Member

Screenshot_20210405-162723_compress69.jpg Hi all,

Totally new to this. And semi new to forums in general, so excuse me if I get the etiquette slightly off!

We are collecting some pieces of furniture in anticipation of moving house in a few weeks.

1. We have this beautiful hogshead barrell which was gifted to my grandfather years ago.

2. We just today picked up this dining table which I am told is '1920s Jacobean revival'. I'd be curious to know if we got a fair value* on this at £700 for the set, including the pew (1930s allegedly), and 4 Ercol chairs. More importantly than the value, does the era sound correct for the style?

Edit: table top is 5 x 3 1/2 ft. Height unknown and now away in storage until the weekend. Pew is 5ft.

I have a few other odds and ends tucked away in the garage, which I look forward to sharing in due course.

Overall, just have a keen interest in vintage and antique furniture, and looking to tie together a nice fusion with some modern pieces when we move home.

* I appreciate this is the lazy route, and I have a lot of my own research to do!

Look forward to reading more in the forum.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2021
    pearlsnblume likes this.
  2. LemonDrizzleCake

Screenshot_20210405-163215_compress98.jpg Barrell was missing

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2021
  3. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Aquitaine likes this.
  4. LemonDrizzleCake

Thanks!

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

One of the moderators should move it! WELCOME to ANTIQUERS, Lemon!! I'm not sure on the values, but I LOVE what you've collected!!! Is the barrel a mini fridge??? Regardless, all very cool!!! And if YOU LOVE it, and are going to hang on to it, then it's worth it!!! That's what counts!!!

6. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

It’s in Furniture Forum, no?

Aquitaine and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  7. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Yep, is but I don't know where it started.
    700GBP sounds high to me as it's about $975USD but I could be wrong about that as 4 chairs came with it, wait for others to post.

8. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Ok, I see, was moved from Introductions already.

9. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

You were told correctly, it is a Jacobean revival table, usually a tough sell here in the states now, it's not popular at the moment.

10. LemonDrizzleCake

Thanks all for the warm welcome and comments. A very quick Google shows Ercol 369 goldsmith chairs retailing for around £80/ea near me, and the church pew probably somewhere around £300. (Accounting for condition and some bundling discount, I figure the table probably accounted for £200-250/$275-350 of my purchase).

KikoBlueEyes and James Conrad like this.
  11. LemonDrizzleCake

Value aside I'm delighted I was given correct information, and we absolutely love the table. We figured we probably overpaid and were accepting of that, have been struggling to find something of the right sort of size and style for our new home. As for popularity, I'm in the UK if that changes anything, and if not I still wouldn't care

Aquitaine and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  12. LemonDrizzleCake

The barrell is a hogshead which would have held 54 gallons of beer (66 US gallons). 3 were prepared by a cooper known to the brewery my grandad worked for and they were all converted as drinks cabinets so the doors open and there is a shelf halfway down. As far as I know, 2 were bound in iron hoops. One was given as a gift to the mayor and I'm unsure of the second. The third, presented to my grandad, had brass hoops. These would have been useless for any sort of functionality, but absolutely beautiful as a display piece. I do have a little more history on this tucked away somewhere, but would have to dig it out.

13. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Your table is 1920s or 30s, might be by Olde Charme or similar. Yes, you paid retail but you got way better long lasting value than modern tat. I love Ercol. I use and sit on pieces bought new in the early 80s. I prefer them in the wood finishes, but that's me.

If you're after more Ercol, I'd check the Facebook pages, you get some decent pieces sold there.

Draft saved Draft deleted