Jade carved figures, what are they?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Simona Buhus, Dec 4, 2022.

1. Simona Buhus

Simona Buhus Well-Known Member

Hello again,
    I have these and few more carved Jade figures, I don’t know anything about them, I am not 100% certain they all are Jade.
    They are beautiful, there is one with a dragon head and a scaly mermaid like tale I like very much ( it is upside down in the photo).
    Please let me know your thoughts of what they are and how old, provenance etc.
    Thank you.
    Kind regards,
    Simona FB539B03-D64E-4619-8530-5E260FE784F8.jpeg B2503DBF-ACC3-4316-906F-45093266CB44.jpeg 0DE9819A-6D0D-4289-9CC0-C3B00605C039.jpeg ACE0C934-573B-464D-AB90-35E4A3EB2E35.jpeg

ulilwitch likes this.
  2. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Top left looks like a Maori design,but the Chinese have been making Maori designs for a number of years.

3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Bottom right looks Alaskan.

Simona Buhus likes this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

the totem pole is carved in Vancouver by Chinese...and has been fore several decades...
    the Maori hook , is also recent, but I believe , does hale from New Zealand ..

the others ...maybe BC as well....but I have no certain opinion that I can factually back up !

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree, it is probably from New Zealand and certainly recent. New Zealand doesn't necessarily mean it is Māori made. It is the nicest of the lot, and certainly the best quality.
    It looks like the Hoteis could be Canadian jade. Maybe the Buddha head too. The Chinese also import Canadian jade.
    Simona, could you take a photo of just that one? I can't make heads or tails of it.:playful:

all_fakes, Simona Buhus and komokwa like this.
  6. Simona Buhus

[QUOTE="Any Jewelry, post:

Simona, could you take a photo of just that one? I can't make heads or tails of it.:playful:[/QUOTE]

Thank you @Any Jewelry
    I will post it tomorrow, that is my favourite, lion or dragon head with fish tail lol.
    I will post few more things tomorrow, just for you xx

Any Jewelry likes this.
  7. Any Jewelry

8. Simona Buhus

Thank you @Any Jewelry
    I will post it tomorrow, that is my favourite, lion or dragon head with fish tail lol.
    I will post few more things tomorrow, just for you xx[/QUOTE]

@Any Jewelry here is my favourite
    879896DB-B8A6-45C3-9E27-7878E016387F.jpeg 17285B7B-D2E2-4E0A-9085-928D8EA05E10.jpeg
    and here is something specially for you.
    Xx
    E59B9B7A-33E2-43EF-925C-C3713395AC80.jpeg

Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  9. komokwa

never seen a lion merman before

10. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

11. komokwa

[​IMG]

well, now I've seen one !

12. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

A merlion - which I just learned is the official mascot of Singapore.

Any Jewelry and Bakersgma like this.
  13. komokwa

is that bands of lapis it's sitting on in the photo??:eek:

14. Any Jewelry

I was going to say Singapore, but you all beat me to it.;)
    Blue ceramic tiles?
    :happy:
    The one on the left is unusual. The other two I have, bought in the early 70s in a Māori crafts centre in Rotorua, New Zealand. The Māori craft revival had only just begun, and quality wasn't as high as the earlier or later ones. But they mark an important time of renewed interest in the old crafts, and recognition of Māori identity.

15. komokwa

the left one has the design and look of earlier works....it's a nice representation !;)

the other two are goofy...:wacky::woot:

Draft saved Draft deleted