Featured Jade or other stone?

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by trip98, Jan 31, 2020.

1. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

This is from an estate lot with lots of "Jade" and other carved stone pieces. DSC_0544 copy.JPG DSC_0545 copy.JPG DSC_0550 copy.JPG

2. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

Measures about 8" high without stand and appears to pass scratch test (tiny spot underside base). It doesn't appear to be a as fragile as serpentine. but not sure.

3. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

I'd guess it was jade just from the photos - if you google image search jade censer elephant / foo dog/lion...etc... you'll see pictures of lots of similar items, the prices are all over the place, from a couple hundred ...to 20K or more.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

looks like jade from here.....nice piece too..

5. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

DSC_0312 copy.JPG DSC_0315 copy.JPG DSC_0316 copy.JPG DSC_0317 copy.JPG Also, from same lot. About 1" X 5" X4". Damage on rim.

6. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

This next one, incense holder. 3" x 2" x1" DSC_0304 copy.JPG DSC_0305 copy.JPG DSC_0309 copy.JPG

Attached Files:

Vicky McFadden likes this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

They are all nice items, but all relatively recent. If you don't mind that, and the price is good, I'd say go for it.

8. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

The photos are mine and I all ready have them along with 100 other items of Japanese & Chinese origin. Mostly recent and a few older pieces. For the most part well-made. Purchased or inherited by a Japanese native while living in Hong Kong from 1950-1990s who recently passed at 93 yrs old.

9. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

My non-expert, consumer-type opinion is that they are nice souvenir or decorator items, but collectors would avoid them, as you probably know. In my opinion, anyway, regardless of the breed of mineral, the workmanship on these is poor-to-average. The last, dark thing, is certainly a very poor carving, again imo. The bottle thing at top is better, but nothing special. Are the two ears near top glued on or part of the whole? One thing to look at also are the bases. The bases are more poorly crafted, and the creators or original sellers aren’t going to put good pieces on poor bases. If u r keeping them, nothing to worry about, but if reselling, as I’m sure u know, u r competing with thousands of Chinese and others who are offering similar and better pieces.

trip98 likes this.
  10. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

Springfld: Ears are not glued, part of the original carving. Bases on the last the last two I added for the photos, there were not found with the pieces. The urn vase was found with the base shown.

11. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Hey, if u likem, thats what matters.

Draft saved Draft deleted