Featured Japan 20th Century Porcelain Box

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Marie Forjan, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Hi all, I picked this up at a local flea thinking I could ID the maker, but I can't seem to find it. I looked at Gotheborg and didn't see it. I assume it is 20th century post Nippon because it says Japan. Does anyone know who made this? And what about the double headed eagle on top? I know the decoration is a bit unrefined, not the best, but for $5 I thought I would give it a try :)

It measures 4-1/2" wide x 3-3/4" deep x 2-1/2" high.

Thanks to anyone who has suggestions!

Jpn2HdEglPrclnBoxTop.jpg Jpn2HdEglPrclnBoxFt.jpg Jpn2HdEglPrclnBoxBk.jpg Jpn2HdEglPrclnBoxBtm.jpg Jpn2HdEglPrclnBoxMrk.jpg

2. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Marie, there's something very similar at the site below, with an "answer" saying that the mark is "unidentified", but the box "...was made in Japan as an export item for the French market and dates to the 1920s - 1930s."

(Right or wrong - I have no idea!)

Here's the site; you'll need to scroll about half a page down:
    https://www.justanswer.com/antiques/8xu9e-jewelry-box-letters-l-c-japan.html

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I think you've done well.
    The eagle(s) could be Andean condors, with that comb:
    [​IMG]
    Together with a single star crest, it reminds me of the coat of arms of Chile. The present day coat of arms is different, but maybe an early one? Or the crest of a Chilean family?
    Present day coat of arms of Chile, I like the condor's balancing act:):
    [​IMG]

4. toomanytocount

toomanytocount Boredom is a sin.

All I know is that it is a fine vintage/antique porcelain box, very collectible, in a pretty good condition. Love these kinds of boxes. Great find!

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  5. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Thank you everyone, especially SBSVC!

I thought it was a good deal. The couple at the booth said her parents were antique dealers, they passed away and she just wants to get rid of everything. They had 3 tables, $5, $3, and $1 :)

They said they have about 30 more boxes of stuff so I hope they are back with more next week, I'll be there early!

Draft saved Draft deleted