Featured Japan/Chinese womens box

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by mmarco102, Aug 11, 2018.

1. mmarco102

mmarco102 Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

I obtained this woman’s box/jewelry(?) at an estate sale and find the level of detail and age appearance to be genuine. It is 4.5” long by 2.5” wide and 1.25” tall. Heavy bronze or brass with some type of black stone/wood(?) inlay. The inlay has a oriental woman on top which appears to be holding a five finger baby dragon or maybe a dragon scraf(?). There is gold gilt(?) coloring decorating her wardrobe and hair combs. The detail in her dress is not visible without a loupe but appears to be floral made with mini dots. The two long sides of box are detailed beautifully with leafs and three circle with image inside circles as well as the top and bottom each with one image inside circle. The inside is shinny brassish looking but very aged. The stamp on the bottom is a very old version of Chinese writting per my girl friend that is Chinese and to her best can only guess the first symbole to be Shī(family name?) and the second being ma (horse). These are only guesses. We found the second(left side) word on line. Of course the two sybols combimed in chinese can take on a whole diferent meaning.

Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated. 40A92169-FC02-46E3-B5A7-0124AE2156E8.jpeg C5773946-3953-473D-B995-63B8016C7D9E.jpeg 74570DF4-DA63-4AD2-AE71-C8622EC7694A.jpeg BF520572-F164-4BFB-A7D4-AABE9A846CA6.jpeg CAC4E483-B28F-4AA9-95E7-46AD82E591A7.jpeg
    40A92169-FC02-46E3-B5A7-0124AE2156E8.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

3. mmarco102

Thank you for that quick response, a good start, time to read up

4. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

5. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  6. mmarco102

Wow,thank you very much for your help. It most definetly is in the Komai Family markings. This is great news for me. Been looking for three days...

Thanks again

7. mmarco102

I’m a bit curious, out of all the pieces I can find from the Komai family, I don’t see any other piece that has a persons figure such as this one. Could this have been a family member piece?

kyratango, Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is gorgeous, mmarco.
    Do you mean made specifically for use by a member of the Komai family? I don't think so, they made more objects with women:
    [​IMG]
    The picture doesn't copy very well, but it is on this page, if you click on the thumbnail you can see it properly:
    http://www.smokingsamurai.com/KOMAI_SEIBEI.html

9. mmarco102

1A67AE7F-700D-4D7A-A070-12889BAAF49D.jpeg Yes I have to agree regarding family member now. After looking at some of their pieces in museums, the high end work is astonishing.

I am narrowing it down to this event in their life(see image)

Thank you for your reply.

10. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

@ mmarco102

What is the top panel made of? The photos show very little and it may not be Japanese damascene to start with.

Mugzinnys, Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Since they were originally tsuba, etc makers, I think you have to think along those lines, like this one:
    [​IMG]

kyratango, Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  12. mmarco102

IMG_1381.jpg IMG_1352.jpg Very good question, and I really would like to know. The inside of the box appears to be brass(a guess, see new images here), not positive. If you look closely at the last picture from the original post you will notice the the inlay is just starting to barely lift(un-noticeable unless your looking for it. That inlay is made of the same material the the woman sculpture seems to be made of and my guess is as stated above "tsuba" as I believe iron wouldn't stand the time.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  13. Any Jewelry

14. mmarco102

15. Hollyblue

Try a magnetic and see if it's magnetic(iron). And go from there.

16. mmarco102

Yes, the magnet works both on the lady and the flat area below her feet.

So would the entire box be iron with 24K plateing on inside too, or is it still possible that the brassy look is brass?

17. Hollyblue

Can't tell from photos how the design was applied to the main box. The top iron piece used a number of techniques,but photos really aren't showing any specifics.For information of the techniques see link.... https://wombat1138.dreamwidth.org/103378.html

18. Any Jewelry

if it is anything like Japanese Samurai metalwork inspired jewellery, it is gilded brass. The gold layer would be extremely thin, and I can see some verdigris on your box, indicating copper (like in brass).

19. mmarco102

Just wanting to thank everyone again for your help with this item.

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted