Japan Red Clay Pottery Animal Help & Maybe Staffordshire Dogs?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by cxgirl, Mar 7, 2021.

1. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Hi all,
    Two things I need help with, one is made in Japan, the other I don't know where they were made, maybe Staffordshire? I'll split them into 2 comments:)
    I was surprised to see the Made In Japan mark on the foot, any idea on the company that did a glaze like this? Also, what do think it is, a dog or maybe a tiger or lion cup?
    any information appreciated
    thanks for looking:)
    DSCF1194.jpeg DSCF1196.jpeg DSCF1198.jpeg DSCF1199.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
    Aquitaine and i need help like this.
  2. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

these two dogs, I have no idea on where they were made. Searching I find many listed as Staffordshire, but I don't know about these. They don't look very well made, lots of inclusions in the body. Maybe Japan? They are 4"H. The only mark is what looks like 7.00, so an old price I suspect. I don't think they started out life as a pair, one with a muzzle, the other has a different body colour
    Any information appreciated
    thanks for looking:)
    DSCF1180.jpeg DSCF1181.jpeg DSCF1182.jpeg DSCF1183.jpeg DSCF1184.jpeg DSCF1185.jpeg DSCF1186.jpeg DSCF1187.jpeg

i need help likes this.
  3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

First one kinda looks like a Schnauzer-ish puppy....except I’ve never seen a blue & green Schnauzer!!:rolleyes: Is that supposed to be a muzzle on one of the pair? JUST SO not sure on these 2..

cxgirl likes this.
  4. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

These aren't Staffs, hard paste pugs so usually German ...although they could be Japanese copies I suppose ...Pretty sure German though.

5. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

thanks Aquitaine, will check out Schnauzers:) yes, a muzzle on the one dog.

Germany makes sense, thanks blooey:)

Draft saved Draft deleted