Japanese Bronze Question - Metal Turnip!

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Vesuvia, Sep 11, 2020.

1. Vesuvia

Vesuvia Active Member

Howdy all! So, I recently purchased this reallllllly cool Japanese bronze incense holder in the shape of a turnip. I’m assuming it’s an incense holder due to the very thick layers of ash inside of it. My questions are: what do the letter and numbers on the back of it mean? And should I leave the ash in there, or does it effect the value in any way by leaving it there?
    Any assistance is always very much greatly appreciated! Hope all are doing well and keeping sane! ;)
    97C6249E-10ED-4039-B861-090DFEB2FF4B.jpeg 0160FEA2-C47C-448D-A2FC-5290EFF7EACC.jpeg D3CCB6A9-DD98-470F-946E-B88BC30A3550.jpeg
    thank you!

Firemandk, Any Jewelry and aaroncab like this.
  2. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Looks like someone's inventory number. Too long for a social security number (which some people actually put on their items), but the last 5 digits might be a date of acquisition - December 6, 1985. Just a thought.
    What makes you think it is Japanese?

Vesuvia likes this.
  3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

phone number
    1- 841-481-2685

2manybooks likes this.
  4. 2manybooks

Good idea, but "Area Code 841 has not been assigned for use by the North American Numbering Plan Administrator." Perhaps another country?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
    komokwa likes this.
  5. Vesuvia

Vesuvia Active Member

good question, that’s how it was described in it’s listing. So, the place I acquired it from, they not being experts, I couldn’t say for sure if it is Japanese at the moment. I’ve yet to receive it, so haven’t had the opportunity to check for any markings. I have gone through and looked for similar styles of incense burners (is that what this is?) and found quite a few bronze rabbits and some cranes which had similar aesthetics, but nothing quite like a turnip. So, I am totally open to hearing what you all think, and can take my research from there.

thank you for your replies!

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

mexico............but unlikely to be a phone number......

Vesuvia likes this.
  7. 2manybooks

Vesuvia and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is gorgeous, Vesuvia.
    I have an antique Chinese bronze censer shaped like a peach, with a twig and leaves. Not saying yours is Chinese, but it reminds me a bit of mine.

Vesuvia likes this.
  9. Vesuvia

Vesuvia Active Member

Oh my! Isn’t that gorgeous! Thank you! And I do believe you are correct about the OP to my turnip, because it would appear they copy pasted the exact wording, minus the dimensions and signature! Wonderful! Thank you so much!

2manybooks likes this.
  10. Vesuvia

Vesuvia Active Member

If you ever feel the desire to post some photos of that, I- probably amongst quite a few others, would love the opportunity to see it!

Any Jewelry likes this.