Featured japanese enameled vases anyone recognize the maker's mark?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by sunday silence, Jun 4, 2022.

1. sunday silence

sunday silence Well-Known Member

these came up at auction a couple weeks ago but was wondering if they might be valuable. 53_11_3.jpg 53_11_5.jpg 53_11_9.jpg 53_11_1.jpg 53_11_6.jpg 53_11_7.jpg 53_11_8.jpg

2. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

Yikes! The giant hole really devalues that vase.
    But they are so pretty! The blue is luscious.

kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Lovely, but I agree, badly damaged, so enormous loss of value.
    If investing or buying for resale, I'd pass. If you're in love with them, bid very low and turn the damaged side to the back.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2022
    kyratango, stracci and Silverthorne like this.
  4. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

Might be Izumi, Nippon

5. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Oh, that Blue! Persian Turquoise...?
    I love it...and damage be damned!

But the design hasn't been damaged. It even seems the cloissons(?) at 10 o'clock helped preserve that area of foliage.

Too dark for Robin's Egg. The Blue of the sky in my youth, on a sunny SoCal day. Perhaps I exaggerate, but not by much. Stunning color!

What would any of you like to call it?

stracci likes this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Robin's egg blue came to mind. But..... I'd say it's close to the blue of a US robin's egg, but much too intense for a European robin's egg, which is a pale turquoise with spots.

7. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Is it brass or white metal? Hard to tell for sure in photos. Every once in a while cloisonné is done on silver. Not saying this is but looks like a possibility.

Draft saved Draft deleted