JAPANESE ENVELOPE FULL OF JAPANESE PRINTS VALUABLE OR SOUVENIR?

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Jun 29, 2018.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found these at a estate sale I went to last week end in a high end neighborhood & am wondering if they are worth anything or just a souvenir?
    1 thing that has me hopeful is the cancellation date on the stamp looks like 1963; so at least they are not brand new!
    Thanks, I appreciate any help.
    AA EBAY NEW A ART PRINT JAPANESE PRINTS IN ENVELOPE 1AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART PRINT JAPANESE PRINTS IN ENVELOPE 1AAA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART PRINT JAPANESE PRINTS IN ENVELOPE 1BAA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART PRINT JAPANESE PRINTS IN ENVELOPE 2AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART PRINT JAPANESE PRINTS IN ENVELOPE 3AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART PRINT JAPANESE PRINTS IN ENVELOPE 4AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART PRINT JAPANESE PRINTS IN ENVELOPE 4AAA.jpg

kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

These are all cards of prints by Hokusai, one of the most famous Japanese Ukiyo-e artists of the early 19th century. A nice souvenir, but they have yellowed.
    Up till ca 1800 most art was for the upper classes, but when the Japanese middle class started to grow and prosper, they wanted art as well, with subjects they liked. Ukiyo-e was developed to be that art. Ukiyo-e were prints meant for the greater public. Ukiyo-e means 'images of a fleeting life', so not important mythological or courtly scenes.
    There are probably 36 cards, the 36 views of Mount Fuji, Hokusai's most famous set of works. You will see Mt Fuji on all of them, even if it is only a tiny triangle in the distance.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
  3. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Wonderful information! Thanks - again - Any Jewelry!

kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Pleasure, of course, journey.
    His work is still very popular, and many of his prints are used as designs in the West. Check 'The Big Wave of Kanagawa' by Hokusai, you'll see it on t-shirts, mugs, anything really. It is beautiful, and appeals to just about everyone.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Did you take a close look at it, and see the boats and the people so tiny and struggling to get past the wave? Stunning.

kyratango, Sandra and NewEngland like this.
  5. NewEngland

NewEngland Well-Known Member

There's even a Big Wave ukulele by Luna. Beautiful! luna_gwc--5.jpg

6. Any Jewelry

Wow! If I played the ukulele I would buy that.

7. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

The colors are lovely . Usually I dont see these so bright.

kyratango likes this.
  8. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Draft saved Draft deleted