Japanese footed bowl, what can you tell me?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Lucille.b, May 27, 2014.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Got this today at the thrift. Ceramic, almost a little bisque-like. Has a few edge bites, seems to be white underneath.

What would I call this form? Some kind of stand? Any thing to note? The cranes caught my eye. All thoughts appreciated. Thanks! (Note: Flash in 1st pic made inside look black, but piece is uniformly brown.) I hope I did the photos okay, it is my first post here w/photos....

disbowl2.jpg disbowl3.jpg disbowl4.jpg disbowl5.jpg

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Ikebana dish?

3. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Yes that would be my guess too. The cranes are lovely. Perhaps it is made to imitate older pottery in glaze color? Yet it does appear to have some age to it. Bothers me that the seam is so poorly trimmed.

Wait, is that a ring of clay surrounding the center and not a mold seam per se?

4. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Tokanabe

That form would commonly be used as a planter

Cheap stuff sold by Sears Roebuck in the '20s

5. Lucille.b

Yes, it is a ring of clay surrounding the center.

A few corrections -- just went back and had a look in good light. (Disregard what I said in the original post, it is black inside.) I now think this is made of clay, got a magnifying glass out at the small spots where the glaze is off -- possibly a gray clay underneath which would explain why it felt lighter weight. Could be an Ikebana dish, would the size be about right? Measures 6" across, just over 2 1/2 inches high, stands on 3 feet. The crane pattern does not repeat, but wonder if there was some kind of press that made the pattern? It is kind of interesting with that super textured base at the half way point, connected to the smooth part with cranes. Wonder if this was made to imitate an older piece? I do think vintage in any case. If anyone else has thoughts, please let me know. Thanks Bakers, and Anti.

6. Lucille.b

Thanks Terry, was just writing as you posted. So 1920's? Sears! Actually my first thought was is was a planter... I'm off to google Tokanabe...

7. Lucille.b

I'm back from googling "Tokanabe". Bingo. Positive that is what I have. Terry, you nailed it!

I was thinking this had a bit of an Arts & Crafts vibe -- didn't know if it was a copy, the "Made In Japan" (although nicely stamped) was throwing me off. Sears/1920's answers everything!

I do still like it, but was hoping it might have some resale (luckily was .99). Tokanabe does not seem to be selling at all on Ebay. Maybe the cranes will persuade someone, but I think I'll do better at a local consignment store that does MCM/antiques/Asian.

I really appreciate the help with this. Thanks to all who posted!

Draft saved Draft deleted