Japanese incense burner

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Antiques Remembered, Aug 19, 2017.

1. Antiques Remembered

Antiques Remembered A masterpiece trying to master peace

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I'm afraid the story, at least as far as the timing, is incorrect. US and other Allied forces did not start to arrive on the Japanese home islands until Aug 28, 1945. The bombing of Nagasaki was on Aug 9th. Almost 3 weeks, not 3 days. And probably a fair amount longer than that. Not to say that some soldier did not pick this up in Nagasaki at some point, but a lot longer after the bombing than the story.

I'll leave commentary on the piece itself to those who know more about this sort of thing than I do.

3. Antiques Remembered

Thank you for your reply, I know nothing about this except what I was told about it...a little note was inside of it, and that's the story that was on the note. This and the sake set are supposed to be from Nagasaki. I'll take any info on it.

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I do understand about only knowing what "a little note" (or some passed down story recorded long after) says. Out of curiosity, is the note written in the first person (I picked this up...) or in the third person (Dad said he....)?

5. Antiques Remembered

First person...I purchased quite a few antiques/vinatage things from a man on Craigslist all this stuff was his mothers...he had stories about everything he had and tons of pics. The notes were written by his mom, she wrote..."picked up by Pat's father". I think that's the mans grandfather. She had Meissen vases and Warren Kessler lamps, a lot of very nice things. And most of the older things she had notes in them.

Draft saved Draft deleted