Featured Japanese Kabazaiku Cherry Box - Unique Design?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Dan R, May 2, 2021.

1. Dan R

Dan R Member

Hi All,

I'm new to this forum, what a great place!

I have a Japanese Kabazaiku Box, possibly a cigarette box, which is of course lined with cherry tree bark.

From searching online, there is a limited number of these boxes, and to be honest (my opinion) none as detailed in terms of a "scene" as the one in the photo I have below.

Is anyone familiar with the design on the box, and Kabazaiku work in general? Is this a unique design or have you seen a similar design previously?

Regards,

D

IMG_20210502_131752.jpg

IMG_20210502_131512.jpeg
    IMG_20210502_131543.jpeg

2. Hamburger

Hamburger Absolute Beginner

kyratango, KikoBlueEyes and Dan R like this.
  3. Dan R

Dan R Member

Thanks Hamburger! I've popped over to say hi and left a post!

Dan

kyratango, Hamburger and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  4. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Nice piece. It is certainly more decorated than the average but I have seen others with this level of detail. Given the decoration it was probably made for export or as giftware, ones for the Japanese home market would be much plainer and focus on the aesthetic of the wood and process. I don't see many Kabazaiku items come through my usual haunts in the UK and I've not had one for at least a couple of years now.

If you can post a clearer picture of the mark I may be able to transcribe it for you.

5. Dan R

Dan R Member

Thank you! It is a nice piece, it has grown on me, as I wasn't quite sure when I saw it if it was something worth going for. What kind of age would you put on it? My wild guess would be 20s or 30s?

If you are able to transcribe it for me that would be great, and much appreciated.

IMG_20210502_165617.jpg

kyratango likes this.
  6. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

The first character is 宮 (Miya) but I'm struggling with the second. These items come from Miyagi but the second character doesn't seem to work for that, so it is perhaps the makers name. Your dating seems about right to me.

7. Dan R

Dan R Member

Thank you for looking that up/transcribing - I'd like to say my Japanese is rusty, but I don't know any at all. Perhaps I should try to start as I have a couple of other Japanese items, although this one is the nicest.

Do you have any idea as to what value it might attract?

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted