Featured Japanese Moriage Satsuma Vase ?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Suzy60us, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Suzy60us

Suzy60us Well-Known Member

This vase is 10 inches high. Am I correct this is a Moriage Satsuma Vase. On the inside of top rim is applied decorations, I am assuming, not some marking.
    Lastly, this type of vase does not have much value?

DSC01794.JPG DSC01807.JPG DSC01801.JPG DSC01803.JPG

judy, Christmasjoy and aaroncab like this.
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

No, I don't think so.
    Nippon Enamel beaded
    Satsuma style - 1870s-90s

I always thought this was Moriage, and many people list this type of ware as Moriage, but technically that is not correct.

Moriage is not enamel (shiny). Moriage is clay slip (dull)
    http://www.ebay.com/gds/NIPPON-PORCELAIN-A-GUIDE-TO-MORIAGE-BEADED-WARE-/10000000001393277/g.html

If you google moriage satsuma you do get a page full - however, that does not make it correct.

https://www.google.com/search?q=mor...9IMKHUeyDW0Q_AUICygC&biw=1377&bih=920#imgrc=_

This was an ongoing debate on the old ebay boards.
    Many people may remember.
    So wait for other opinions

judy likes this.
  3. Suzy60us

Thank you ClutteredCloset.

I did not know what this type of decoration was called. Searching ebay I found it listed as moriage. You did a great job of explaining the difference between moriage and beaded enamel.

Sue

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

If you are going to sell.
    I hate to say it, but you will get more lookers if you mislabel it.

5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

This is slip decoration, but not what people like to call moriage. Glossy vs. matte. Maybe it has something to do with the application. This would have been painted on, but I think moriage is more of an applique.

6. Suzy60us

The more I think about it I will use the word Moriage as well as beaded enamel in my listing.
    Thanks to both of you. I learn so much from all of the board members.

Draft saved Draft deleted