Featured Japanese or Chinese Vase... Something or Nothing?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by J Dagger, Oct 25, 2019.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

69DB1C00-885E-46AD-A37F-C55CD9529C39.jpeg 69DB1C00-885E-46AD-A37F-C55CD9529C39.jpeg FB4F8B41-3399-4219-AE5D-0EAFD9E3FEEB.jpeg
    A944A2ED-9196-4A77-B6E0-F5E54A7EE89E.jpeg Photo is from a sale listing tomorrow. Thought it looked interesting but probably not much value. Figured worth asking here. Worth picking up? Also a little lacquer box of drawers I assume is Japanese. I know some can be quite valuable but this doesn’t look like one of them. Anyone differ?

2. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

The vase is Japanese Sumida Gawa ware, a bit beat up but fixable I suppose ...the other thing is Chinese, fairly new, you don't need that.

According to Gotheborg, the mark is a mark of Inoue Ryosai, however, there are several Inoue Ryosai's that worked from the late 1800's up to 1971

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
  3. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

The box looks like a bento box.

4. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

It isn't though, it's Chinese and an impractical tiffin box - really just "decor" ware, abused but fairly modern.

Christmasjoy, J Dagger and judy like this.
  5. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Blooey is right on with the Sumida Gawa ID on the vase. This one in the picture looks in very rough condition as mentioned-- that's going to really impact any value. You can view comparables on Ebay to get a price point.

J Dagger likes this.
  6. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Thanks for ID’ing this for me. I got to the sale 30 mins before they closed up. The vase was still present on the mantle. It was marked $375!!! Needless to say I kept moving. I know the sale runner decently well and he offered me 60% off a different item I was interested in before I even started negotiating. I figured I would circle back to this one at the end if it was still there. When I did the sticker had been removed. Brought it up and asked about it and he said it had been marked as XYZ but he would do $100. I offered $75 and we met at $80. Looks like I may have paid a bit too much to make an easy profit considering condition. I guess it just depends on if someone likes this particular design. They seem to vary quite a bit in theme with some being more desirable than others. The color combo on mine also isn’t awesome but we shall see. I’ll update here if/when I decide to sell and I find a buyer.

blooey likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted