Featured Japanese photographs - help with dates/information/translation appreciated!

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Batman_2000, Mar 26, 2017.

1. Batman_2000

Batman_2000 Well-Known Member

I picked these up at the market this morning - the stall holder told me they were imported from Japan along with some antique furniture. Any thoughts on date? I was thinking 1930s/40s? Unfortunately no names or information on the back of them (two of them are lightly attached to a backing paper):

japan 1 657.jpg
    japan 2 658.jpg
    japan 3 659.jpg

They are all in frames, although these are a little tatty. The largest is about 17x12cm:

Japan 4.jpg
    Japan 5.jpg

The stall holder threw in a bunch of postcards, mostly duplicates, that came with the photos. I've found a Zen[k]ichi Inouye, born 1870s, but living in California, not Japan. Maybe he moved to the USA. I'm still looking for information, but any help with these would be appreciated! Thanks!

japan 6a 660.jpg

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
    cxgirl, Figtree3, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

WOW! Nice!
    ~
    Inouye....maybe a connection? >>>
    ~
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Inouye

Aquitaine, judy and Batman_2000 like this.
  3. Batman_2000

Thanks for the link... intriguing!

They are great, aren't they? I'm hoping the photos and the postcards are really connected (not just a red herring).

If it's the right person, I found this interview, which I'm reading through at the moment. I can't find a connection to Tokyo yet, though: http://content.cdlib.org/view?docId...nk.id=d0e8239&toc.id=d0e9368&brand=calisphere

KingofThings likes this.
  4. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Those are intriguing.

Note the stoicism, for which many Asian cultures are noted, with which the gentleman bears his catheter.........................:rolleyes:

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Very likely of family members left behind in Japan. What state did you find them in? And is anything written on the back of photos?

Debora

Batman_2000 and KingofThings like this.
  6. Batman_2000

Sorry, I should have said... I'm in the UK. The stall holder claimed they'd been imported from Japan, but maybe they came via the US. I've no way of knowing. Sadly there's nothing written on the photographs so the only information comes from the postcards, and I haven't had much luck so far with the address in Tokyo...

7. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Just (another probably unwanted) observation, but did you notice the spelling on one of the adverts?
    "Dealers of Hardware and Hone Articles"......wondering if that is a misspelling or if they are referring to actual HONED items, as the list mostly seems to be items with an edge...................

I am going to wonder about that until some other trivia comes along to steal some brain cells...............

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Batman_2000 likes this.
  9. Batman_2000

Thanks for the link :). I wish I knew more about these photos and where they came from, exactly...

Draft saved Draft deleted