Japanese plate, Dai Nippon, Satsuma, maker?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Julia123, Jan 19, 2019.

1. Julia123

Julia123 New Member

Hi everyone! My mom found this plate in the attic. Have been trying to find the logo but cant identify it. I only found something about 'dai nippon' era and it looks a lot like pottery from the 'satsuma' province, it has a woman in the middle surrounded 6 men looking at her. I also has gold paint. I have been going crazy trying to find out what the logo means, anyone have a clue? Maybe its a fake? japanplate2.jpg japanplate1.2.jpg

2. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

This is the Japanese moriage technique - often related to Satsuma.

Julia123 likes this.
  3. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

In case you haven't found this site, you can search this page and read about Dai Nippon and when the printed mark was used: http://www.gotheborg.com/marks/20thcenturyjapan.shtml
    I don't think you will find the maker.
    I just want to say it's a beauty, and you should carefully remove and trash the metal hanger before one of the prongs causes a chip.

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

the wires are coated...but your right...I think I see flea bites already....

Lovely plate

i need help and Julia123 like this.
  5. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    The secret is to over stretch the springs so there is no pressure on the rims. Just enough to hold the plate but not pressing on the rims. A lot of my plates are on the walls but loose not enough to fall but they can move around a lot. I use aquarium tubing on my plate hangers they are more flexible than the coated wires.
    greg

Julia123, i need help and komokwa like this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

i used to cover my wires with soft medical tubing.....kinda the same thing??

gregsglass and i need help like this.
  7. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

Some people are militant about those hangers, like Joan Crawford and wire coat hangers.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
    i need help, dgbjwc and SBSVC like this.
  8. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

9. Tom Mackay

Tom Mackay Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted