Featured Japanese Porcelain Dish - Arita? 19th Century?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Bakersgma, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I received this dish (not completely flat like a platter nor deep enough to be a bowl) as a gift in 1989. It was accompanied by a card from the "Far Eastern Art" dealer in Washington, DC, from whom it had been purchased, that says "19th century porcelain dish.... made in Arita, Japan." Not that I have any reason to disbelieve that description, but since we have several active members with experience in this area and since it has no marks to check out at Gotheborg, I thought it would post it to see what you think.

It's just a smidge over 11 inches in diameter, decorated under glaze in what looks to me like a grey-ish blue (although in the pictures it looks more blue and less grey.) Some of the decoration looks a bit blurry, particularly where the sides bend upward, but most is very precise. The underside has a circle of 5 stilt marks around another single stilt mark in the center. I have to assume that the number and arrangement of stilts had to do with its size?

Any thoughts or information gratefully requested.

Arita Charger 19th C - 1.jpg

Arita Charger 19th C - Detail 1.jpg

Arita Charger 19th C - underside.jpg

2. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

I think it is Shida-yaki, not Arita but nearby.

3. Bakersgma

Thanks, Mat. Very interesting. What suggests that to you?

4. Bakersgma

I think I found the answer - multiple stilt marks, right?

5. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

Yes, and the decoration, too, that scene with the crane I have seen many times on Shida-yaki dishes. I like yours!

Bakersgma likes this.
  6. Bakersgma

Thank You! I like it too! (Even though it was a 20th anniversary gift from the husband from whom I had already been divorced 9 years. ;) He said he picked it out because the crane symbolizes longevity.)

7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

not the marriages longevity...............:(:(...:hilarious:

8. Bakersgma

Ah, yes. But we stayed friends.

9. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

What a lovely gift from an ex.

Any Jewelry and Bakersgma like this.
  10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I'm glad for you.
    I don't know how that works....I wasn't that lucky.

SBSVC likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted