Japanese Satsuma Vases? Really?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by LaineyV, Dec 10, 2018.

1. LaineyV

LaineyV Active Member

These two vases (don't seem to be a pair) were sold to me as early 20th century Japanese Satsuma vases. Can anyone tell this by their base marks? Or any other details which may be helpful?

Thanks Satsuma 1.jpg Satsuma 4.jpg Satsuma 5.jpg Satsuma 8.jpg

2. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

We have had several discussions about Satsuma on the forum lately. You can enter Satsuma in the search box, upper right, to find them.
    Your vases are in one of the Satsuma styles of decoration. The marks look more like artists' signatures rather than factory marks, so it is difficult to be more specific as to which factory made them, but possibly in Kyoto. This style of decoration seems to have been popular in the late 19th into the 20th centuries.
    Gotheborg.com has an excellent discussion of Satsuma ware:
    http://gotheborg.com/marks/satsuma.shtml

3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I don't think you were misled, if that is what you are worried about.
    Satsuma Style might be a more appropriate term. Time period is still late 1800s to early 1900s.

4. LaineyV

LaineyV Active Member

Thank you both! I will do a bit more research then.

5. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

These are rather numbers, not a signature, quite common on this type of Satsuma vases.

Draft saved Draft deleted