Featured Japanese ? Silver Case

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by kardinalisimo, Mar 14, 2018.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

9C080C7E-1B7E-4DB6-AD94-36CE81F9F07A.jpeg ECE24C0B-3620-400D-9F33-FB572824FB93.jpeg 09BBC31B-EDB7-4994-83C7-2C5AA6358756.jpeg No marks found but I’ll clean it on the inside in case there are any.
    Any thoughts?

2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

3. kardinalisimo

F0A817B8-7D77-4DE9-94F5-AE2AD099DCA0.jpeg Thanks. I found WH but no purity mark.

4. say_it_slowly

5. kardinalisimo

Yes, but did not find a mark of his with only WH. Unless, the rest is hiding somewhere but I did check the case pretty good.

judy likes this.
  6. say_it_slowly

judy likes this.
  7. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

Even Chinese and Japanese silver came with hallmarks. Usually in the form of characters denoting silver, and the silversmith's name, or initials. That's about as complex as it got. If the piece was made for the Western market, it might include other things like 'SILVER' or '900', '950', '925' etc etc in English.

judy likes this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It was even less complex.;) There were never any Chinese hallmarks.
    There was no official assaying or marking system in China at all, and there still isn't, which is why there is so much base metal marked 925 or 純銀 (pure silver) out there.
    Most of my own antique Chinese silver is not marked, but it is silver.

Export silver, like Wang Hing made, was often marked in latin script, but not always. My Wang Hing silver is marked WH 90. I have never seen a WH mark without 90, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. There is also a WANG HING mark.

Here is something on Wang Hing:
    http://chinese-export-silver.com/me...e-prolific-yet-masterful-chinese-silversmith/
    Here is an article on Chinese Export silver;
    http://chinese-export-silver.com.gridhosted.co.uk/understanding-chinese-export-silver-makers-marks/

The 90 mark is just a general indication, the silver content is usually a bit higher, as is shown in this article:
    http://chinese-export-silver.com.gridhosted.co.uk/absence-assay-system-金银检验系统的缺失/

Because of the interest in Chinese Export silver, there are many fakes, so that is something to bear in mind.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  9. kardinalisimo

Thanks for the replies.
    If fake, it must have been done some time ago because it has some patina and other wear like dings, dents etc.

10. Any Jewelry

It certainly looks old.
    But if there is no documentation of a WH mark without 90 (or other fineness mark), the mark could have been put on at a later date.
    Not saying it is, just a possibility. And only if there is no documentation of a WH mark without a fineness mark.
    Have you tested the silver fineness?

judy and Huntingtreasure like this.
  11. say_it_slowly

Huntingtreasure and Any Jewelry like this.
  12. Any Jewelry

judy and Huntingtreasure like this.
  13. kardinalisimo

Btw, is this a cigarette case or other purpose, like holding cards maybe?

judy likes this.
  14. Any Jewelry

Looks like a cigarette case to me. We expect brackets for a strap on the inside, but not all cigarette cases have that.

judy likes this.
  15. Asian Fever

Asian Fever Well-Known Member

It doesn't matter if it carries 90 or not. sometimes carry 85 sometimes carry 92, 95 or 98. I have seen tons of them carry or not carry. It doesn't matter wether they are carrying the mark or not. The pattern, the way they are chased and hammered is very important. Do not always look at marks because marks are always the easiest way to imitate. However, the way they are chased and wether they are hand made, hand hammered & chased is very important, which need sophisticated experience, knowledge and skills to imitate them.

Yours is certainly a genuine. Look at the texture, the details, these are obviously hand made.

LauraGarnet02 and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted