Japanese Teapot Mark identification HELP!

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by GreenEyedGal, Aug 29, 2021.

1. GreenEyedGal

GreenEyedGal Well-Known Member

DEBA2E7C-2027-46A0-8847-CE650090090C.jpeg 814E822B-1210-4F17-9536-7A1F2C1E7ABA.jpeg 5642C643-79C0-4809-8246-A65926CB29DE.jpeg CD0E6FBB-9541-4513-9DF9-776F455616C4.jpeg 6231F2D3-352A-4E5E-8450-A6BFBBEF8FDA.jpeg I apologize for the pics of the paper that’s stuck ( around) the the actual stamp , it’s really stuck! Thanks y’all for any help!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2021
    Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

go back to edit...and click on full image for your photo's......please.

Aquitaine likes this.
  3. GreenEyedGal

Hope that’s better:)

komokwa likes this.
  4. GreenEyedGal

I hope that’s better - sometimes when I hit full image it says it’s too big

komokwa likes this.
  5. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

It's Japanese Kutani ware, early 20th century. I don't recognise the mark, and it's poorly written, best guess at the first character being 玉 and the final character is zo (created) 造. In your images the close up of the mark is upside down.

6. Tahmoor girl

Tahmoor girl Active Member

7. Tahmoor girl

Satsuma is a style of Japanese earthenware that was produced in Satsuma, Osaka, Kyoto, Kobe, Kagoshima and Tokyo. Satsuma vases often come in pairs and are elaborately decorated with gold leaf and crackled glaze.

Satsuma vases generally depict Japanese themes including scenes of court life, legends and artistic values. Dating Satsuma vases takes time and practice -- particularly if you're not familiar with the Japanese language -- as the bottom of Satsuma vases are marked with Japanese characters which indicate place names and/or a family crest.

8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is lovely, GreenEyed. I have a soft spot for Kutani ware.
    How is this Satsuma?:confused:

[​IMG]

kyratango, KSW, BoudiccaJones and 4 others like this.
  9. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

This piece is Kutani, not Satsuma, although the painting style is similar in this case.

kyratango, DizzyDaff, judy and 3 others like this.
  10. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

C160ED3F-7362-4A15-BC66-5A5A9D7E548B.jpeg
    I have enlarged your photos. Next time, just check this box.

judy, Aquitaine and Any Jewelry like this.
  11. Tahmoor girl

12. Tahmoor girl

I searched for red and gold Katani marks and one picture turned up. I clicked on it and was lead back to this site asking about for identification.

13. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

It sure is beautiful!

Aquitaine and i need help like this.
  14. Tahmoor girl

15. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

It isn't the mark which determines what is Satsuma and what is Kutani. Satsuma is earthenware, Kutani is porcelain, and it is also a regional difference with true Satsuma being produced in the Kagoshima region under the control of the Shimazu clan and Kutani being from Kaga prefecture (although there were decorators who bought blanks from both regions and decorated them). You can find Satsuma painted more in the Kutani style and Kutani painted in the Satsuma style.

It is not common to find Kutani with a lozenge mark, but they are plenty around and I have sold many over the years.

This piece is definitely Kutani!

16. Tahmoor girl

17. Tahmoor girl

18. Any Jewelry

Tahmoor, I know you are new to antiques (your introductory thread), so this may help you: The trick is, to look at the style of an item first. Then start looking at the details, are they in keeping with your first impression, etc.

Another thing that may help is: Don't shout (caps) at people with decades of experience in Japanese ceramics, or any other field of knowledge.

kyratango, DizzyDaff, KSW and 3 others like this.
  19. Any Jewelry

20. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

As @Any Jewelry says, the search was for porcelain, but the images are all of pottery. It's easy to mislabel something in error, or get the meta data wrong on a web post. Bing/Google doesn't know whether the item is pottery or porcelain, it just returns results which are labelled as such. Also the ai back end correction on search engines means they will often assume you meant 'pottery' even if you search porcelain in cases like this.

Lita's porcelain page just doesn't split things out, so she has mixed Satsuma, Kutani, pottery and porcelain and modern ceramics which are neither all on the same page. She certainly knows the difference herself and I guess she assumes people using her info will also know the difference, it's very easy to tell the difference between earthenware and porcelain.

Here's LAPADA's basic intro to Satsuma, specifically of interest for you is the paragraph headed 'Earthenware'.

https://lapada.org/guides/guide-to-collecting-japanese-satsuma-ware/

Draft saved Draft deleted