Featured Japanese Woodblock Cut-Outs?

Discussion in 'Art' started by cxgirl, May 13, 2018.

  1. cxgirl

    cxgirl Well-Known Member

    Hi all,
    2 framed pictures, each one is 14" x 18". To me it looks like the pieces have been cut-out and then glued/attached somehow in place. Is there a name for this process? I'll put the 2nd one in the next post
    Any information appreciated
    thanks for looking
    DSCF8870.jpg DSCF8871.jpg DSCF8872.jpg DSCF8873.jpg
  2. cxgirl

    cxgirl Well-Known Member

  3. verybrad

    verybrad Well-Known Member

    Paper cutting is an ancient japanese art. Typically, they are intricate cut outs placed against a background for contrast. I have seen pictures such as yours created from cut paper but a bit different. Wonder if your could be by or inspired by Masayuki Miyata, who did similar work.
  4. Any Jewelry

    Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

    Japanese papercutting is called Kirie, but as far as I know it is one colour paper against a background of another colour, much like old-fashioned silhouettes. I don't know if this would be Kirie or something else.
    Here is some amazing Kirie art:
    Last edited: May 14, 2018
    Figtree3, sch3gsd, cxgirl and 4 others like this.
  5. cxgirl

    cxgirl Well-Known Member

    Thank-you Brad and AJ for your replies:)
    I'll do some digging and see what I can find!
    Wow, thank-you for those example AJ, they truly are amazing! What a steady hand you would need to create them.
    Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted
Similar Threads: Japanese Woodblock
Forum Title Date
Art Japanese? Folk Woodblock Dec 27, 2018
Art Japanese Woodblock Prints -- Artists? Age? Sep 24, 2018
Art Japanese woodblock print ID please Sep 20, 2018
Art Anyone Read Japanese? Help with limited edition pencil signed woodblock? print Aug 25, 2018
Art Japanese Woodblock Print Jul 22, 2018

Share This Page