Featured Japanese Woodblock Prints -- Artists? Age?

Discussion in 'Art' started by Pat P, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

I have some large signed and numbered Japanese woodblock prints that I'd like to know more about. I think they're probably mid-20th century but don't really know. I can't read Japanese and don't know what the writing says.

I'm posting one of them, a closeup of it's seal and what I assume is a signature, and a closeup of a another print's seal and signature. Any help would be great!

IMG_20180924_182052160_HDR.jpg IMG_20180924_182101542_HDR.jpg IMG_20180924_182146087_HDR.jpg

2. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

3. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Thanks... will do. :)

4. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

I looked through the sites, and nada. I also looked at signatures on another site they had a link to, but nothing. The Ukiyo-e artists seem to mostly work in a different genre?

I think I saw a link in the past where you can post a Japanese work of art and get help but I didn't bookmark it. Does anyone have a link for it?

Also, is there anyone in Antiquers who can read Japanese?

5. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Pat P likes this.
  6. Jivvy

I have never been adept at sorting that.

Pat P and i need help like this.
  7. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Thanks... didn't know that thread existed and loved reading the responses. :)

No one mentioned Japanese in the thread. I think I remember members doing translations before but don't remember who.

i need help likes this.
  8. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

I just downloaded Google's translate app, which in theory can translate Japanese to English from a photo. It didn't help with the signatures... I guess either it isn't able to do names or perhaps the background confused it.

9. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Well, I've just learned something new... Japanese botanical prints are called "kacho-e."

pearlsnblume and i need help like this.
  10. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

The plot thickens. To my surprise I found my woodblock on a print dealer's website. His copy doesn't have a signature or seal within the print, but it does have the artist's name (Chigusa Soun) in Japanese at the bottom. The characters look vaguely like the ones on my print but not exact?

His print is supposed to be an original, and I'm wondering if my print is a later restrike from the original blocks? The seal on my print might be the publisher who did the restrike?

https://panteek.com/ChigusaSoun/pages/csf128-241.htm

11. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Oh, cool. I found a different print in Pinterest with the same signature and seal that's attributed to Chigusa Soun. Happy Dance here!

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  12. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

13. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Glad you found it, Pat.
    Our Japanese members never seem to stay on the forum for long.
    I know one very enthusiastic one was bullied off the forum by another member who had several posts deleted by Davey and left(?) shortly after. I miss that Japanese member, always willing to help, with any subject.:(

Pat P likes this.
  14. Jivvy

Goodness, I used to know that. :hilarious:

Congrats on finding your artist!

Pat P and pearlsnblume like this.
  15. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

That's a shame. :(

Any Jewelry likes this.
  16. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Thanks, Jivvy! I appreciate your help!

17. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

It turns out I was wrong about this. The Japanese characters below the other seller's prints are for the name of the flowers, which is also given in English. So there's no conflict about the artist's name on my prints and the other seller's prints.

More good news. Last night I knew I had three of these prints because they were all in one of my portfolios right in front of me. But, aging brain that I have, I didn't remember how many more my mother had (I inherited these). Did some digging last night and found 22 more in a couple of other portfolios! More Happy Dance here! :)

Most are by Chigusa Soun, with a few by one or more other artists. Hopefully I'll be able to identify them, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted