Japanese Woodblock Prints Mid Century ?

Discussion in 'Art' started by Lithographer, Feb 8, 2020.

1. Lithographer

Lithographer Well-Known Member

I have purchased 3 woodblock prints at thrift shops over the past few weeks. They appear to be mid century. The 2 with the ladies, I have seen the artist signature before but can't recall who it is. The one with the boat is not familiar to me. Unfortunately my reference book for signatures and publisher marks only covers pre 1900. I have looked at several hundred prints trying to figure out who they are by. Some extra sets of eyes would really help. Woodblock prints are my favorite. My parents lived in Japan in the 50's and our family lived there for 5 months in 1970. My folks brought home lots of prints when they were there. IMG_1049.jpg IMG_1050.jpg IMG_1051.jpg IMG_1052.jpg

Any Jewelry and Christmasjoy like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Until someone more knowledgable comes along... This is an on-line resource for identifying Japanese woodblocks that I learned about on this site. If not useful now, perhaps in the future.

https://ukiyo-e.org

Debora

3. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

The last one is by Utagawa Hiroshige, view of Arashiyama.

4. Lithographer

Excellent, this is the artist of the 2 ladies.
    Hasegawa Sadanobu III

5. Lithographer

Thank You! I found a reference that said this print was originally done in the 1830's, but a new set of blocks was cut in 1951 and a new edition was printed. I suspect that is what I have.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
  6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Nice images (I love Japanese woodblocks too!) but you've got to get them out of the frames and out from underneath the mats immediately! The acidic mat material is already burning into the prints.

7. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

All Japanese wood blocks (the printing blocks, that is) were destroyed in the fires of the Great Kanto Earthquake of the 1920's. The blocks for that Hiroshige series were well-worn out and recut several times prior to the destruction.

That's what happens when you're popular, re-issue ad infinitum!

The other two were published by Uchida, a prolific publisher of post-WW2 editions. The Hiroshige recut could have been bought at Uchida's too.

anundverkaufen and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. Lithographer

Thanks, I have never heard the story of the blocks being destroyed. Here is a photo of another thrift shop find, Hiroshige, from the series of 100 poets. How do you tell if a print is from the original printing as opposed to a print from a later recutting? IMG_1053.jpg

9. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

This one isn't a recut. has censor seal (date)

off out for a b-day party, talk later!

Draft saved Draft deleted