Jasper Johns / Gallery Poster collectability

Discussion in 'Art' started by Naturally, Feb 14, 2021.

1. Naturally

Naturally New Member

Hello Antiquers-
    Member @Bigfoot recently posted a thread titled "HELP IDENTIFY artist on a 1979 unusual print" that turned out to be a legitimate Robert Rauschenberg edition print of 650,000 done for the Miami Herald.
    The participants offering opinions in the thread, @i need help, @Debora, @reader, @Mark London debated the difference between posters vs open edition prints vs limited edition prints. Additionally, hand signed vs plate signed and the effect each of these has on collectability.
    I'm hoping the smart folks here would share their opinions on a Jasper Johns piece I believe to be an offset lithograph gallery poster from the Leo Castelli Gallery in New York. It's from Johns Cicada series and is dated 1980.
    It is not signed and unfortunately, it's also been cropped before being framed.
    I'm curious to know if, even in its current state, it is collectable? And, would there be value to a true art print / poster collector?
    As always, thank you Antiquers.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

i need help likes this.
  2. Mark London

Mark London Well-Known Member

Whatever potential value it may have had as a collectible poster has been destroyed.

3. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Sadly, I agree. If I owned it I’d probably crop all the damage off, reframe in a used frame and sell it as a decorative value only print at a garage sale.

Naturally and i need help like this.
  4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Cool way to leave it marked though.....I honestly don't have that much knowledge about prints....just curious.....no value even though the mark is still on the bottom????

LEFT SIDE.jpg
    MIDDLE PART.jpg
    RIGHT SIDE.jpg

Naturally likes this.
  5. reader

reader Well-Known Member

IMO none but I would crop above the Castelli info if it is cropped.

Naturally likes this.
  6. Naturally

Naturally New Member

Thank you all very much, I appreciate the candid opinions.
    It's always helpful in determining what to keep and what to pass on.
    Thank you again for sharing.

reader and komokwa like this.
  7. Naturally

Naturally New Member

@Aquitaine, thank you for highlighting the in-print signature.
    I held my breath as I removed it from the frame, hoping there would be a hand-signed signature below the mat. Alas, there was not.
    It looks great in the frame though.
    Thanks again!

Draft saved Draft deleted